Notices

Anxiety about out of town trip

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety about out of town trip

I have not been out of town since I became sober in October. I attend AA meetings daily and meet with my sponsor once a week. I have not seen my friends or family very much because I am in recovery. My days consist of work and meetings. I live by myself.

I am having to travel out of town to visit my mother and stepfather. They are both in their 80's and in poor health. They do not drink. My problem is I am going to be outside of my comfort zone. I've gotten so used to my new way of life that anything else besides work and meetings makes me very anxious.

I am planning to attend meetings while out of town and will keep in daily contact with my sponsor but I am nervous.

Plus I will be without my dogs for a week. Holy crap.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally3127 View Post
I have not been out of town since I became sober in October. I attend AA meetings daily and meet with my sponsor once a week. I have not seen my friends or family very much because I am in recovery. My days consist of work and meetings. I live by myself.

I am having to travel out of town to visit my mother and stepfather. They are both in their 80's and in poor health. They do not drink. My problem is I am going to be outside of my comfort zone. I've gotten so used to my new way of life that anything else besides work and meetings makes me very anxious.

I am planning to attend meetings while out of town and will keep in daily contact with my sponsor but I am nervous.

Plus I will be without my dogs for a week. Holy crap.
Rather than be nervous, why not be excited by the opportunity take your new found sobriety out for a spin.

If you can stay sober since october, you can do this.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't worry. I have been in that same situation.

At some point you are going to have to trust yourself. AA meetings and sponsor calls will get you through some tough times, but it's not a permanent solution. Those things are support systems - not a cure. Keep doing what you do now when you go on your trip. Have coffee. Read the paper. Do what you do.

You'll notice that when you are doing all this WITHOUT AA, you're truly living your own life. You're moving forward! Trust yourself, and when you come home from your trip you will feel so happy you can!