Notices

What I've learned so far

Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I've learned so far

About 4.5 months in...sometimes it feels like a year, sometimes not. But, the things I am learning are starting to be noticeable to me now. The first two months for me were about adjusting to every day life without the drink...I owe thanks to you guys and my sober 3D peeps for some of my new knowledge. Some I have figured out about myself on my own. Here goes...

I've learned that I can feel crappy and the world won't end. I don't have to drink to feel better. Eventually the anger, sadness, resentment fades.
I can have fun sober, have real conversations. I can even still be silly and philosophical and write poetry and listen to sad songs...WHILE I am not drinking.
I can plan for the future in little steps. Sacrifice a purchase here to pay down some debt there. I've learned I care about my life and I want it to last and be fulfilling for more than the moment I lived in while drunk.
And sometimes I am tested. But I have come to realize that I don't have to make choices right away. I can say "I need time to think about that". I don't have to over commit to things to prove I am worthy or strong or responsible. I am already all these things. I want to do something because it's important to me or to someone I love.
I have learned that I always believed others saw me by my intentions. Those were better than my actions in my drinking days. I wasn't present but now I can be.
I have learned that what I used to think were my dreams were really only fantasies. Now I am setting up a reality that is full of real people, real activities and a stronger foundation. My name is Erika and I am a grateful recovering alcoholic. I didn't always feel that way
Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, Erika good job and keep it up. I agree problems would still be there the next day and I would feel like crap. But now I can work on those problems and not fee like crap. I can get more done in a day and still have time to relax and laugh instead of looking at a drink and my mind wondering. Nice to meet you.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
I can have fun sober, have real conversations. I can even still be silly and philosophical and write poetry and listen to sad songs...WHILE I am not drinking.
Thanks for this! I can't WAIT until I figure out how to be silly sober. I miss that!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you too Richie It really is SO much better and more productive to deal with issues with a clear head. It will happen fantail, I promise! Just hang in...you will start to belly laugh and won't be able to stop. You will find you are EVEN sillier
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your right and when you laugh,you can smile and feel good about yourself. You should always be proud of what you are doing. Anyway good night
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic post Erika - thanks so much for sharing that

D
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Erica. Good job on 4 months. Keep up the fantastic work and the positivity.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

4.5 months is great. Keep at it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
My name is Erika and I am a grateful recovering alcoholic. I didn't always feel that way
What an awesome post Erika! It's pretty amazing when you have those aahaa moments isn't it? When I realized that I had a choice over what I let in my life and I could choose to just let others be right, not engage in stupid controversy just to be right, not have to tell others how to do things, Not have to fix everyone, set boundaries, stay out of gossip etc. It was so freeing.

Today I love my peace and I am not willing to give it up so easy anymore. Great Thread!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Thank you. I needed that tonight
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of YOU!

Right on deeker! I have been dealing with keeping up with my healthy boundaries lately and although I make mistakes I catch them way sooner than I used to. This allows for me to not get myself into a mess. I am holding onto this new life because it really is so much better. Even when the bad days come I can get through them and know it will pass.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

Erica, Erica Erica----oh my lord what a post. I'm so inspired by you--
thank you so much---you made me see the light. I love your attitude
on everything. it is day 19 for me and after reading your posts i know i will make it through today too. thank you and everyone on this thread for all
the support.\
Babs