Notices

Positivity

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dear all,

This may seem like an absolutely pointless thread (and may well be in the wrong section, apologies) but I felt the need to post to tell you what effect you've had on me recently.

Regardless of the great advice and support, what I am really surprised at is how your positivity has rubbed off on me. I have found myself feeling less negatively, setting plans to attend AA meetings, tapering off alcohol (by my doctors orders, so as not experience seizures) and the like.

Today a friend text me with her problems and rather than become angry and selfish thinking "your problems are tedious compared to mine, I'm struggling with addiction here", I was positive and supportive and it felt good.

Even reading how you wonderful people respond to "newbies'" outreach for help is a boost. With such compassion, knowledge and outlook it's hard to go wrong on this forum.

I just want to say a massive thank you to anyone who I have spoken to, who has responded or has simply read posts I have participated in, it really is a wonderful thing and I thank you all for your constant support, advice and positivity. Thank you, bless you.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gratitude is never pointless!

I echo your thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I'm actually pretty reserved in real life: my idea of hell is to go to a social gathering where I have to chit-chat with relative strangers. But for some odd reason, I just love, love, love my forums here, especially my monthly forum! I could waste a whole day on these boards! (I should get back to my schoolwork now!).
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Giving back is a huge part of recovery. Not necessarily with other addicts, most of all it is about giving back to yourself and gaining self love and respect. Good luck with the beginning, change happens so fast and you must build upon it. I see it like this. The destination is not using, the destination is achieving your goals and dreams. You need to have something beyond drink/drugs to aim for otherwise you will struggle. My personal experience with AA was a bit disappointing, in that the people there were mainly old timers whom to me seemed not to have moved beyond the addict stage. True as they say once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. Well maybe that is less true for some. Circumstance, learning curve, self worth, satisfaction with ones lot. Many factors come and go. Choosing life is something that becomes most definite, like a dawn to a new life. I wish for you a recovery that is a revelation, not a recovery where you are hanging on by your finger nails. I have been lucky, in myself I have chosen life and health, My advice would be to get a juicer, hit the fresh fruit and veggies big time. get an exercise plan together, drink loads of water and most of all come to the realisation that sobriety is not a prison, it is the exact opposite. Good luck, peace.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for replying, again reaffirming my original message, all of you - whether it be one day sober or one year - are an inspiration to me. Just being on this forum is a great boost in the right direction and an affirmation that sobriety is the right path for me.

I hope to chat to you all in the near future and wish you well on your journeys. Just being part of this community is a huge positive for me.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a fairly self centered person and can be selfish. Not in the 'This is mine and I'm not giving you any, go away' sense. But Drinking is the ultimate selfishness (if you're alcoholic), because you put your own short term needs above the health, happiness and security of everyone else. By sharing 'experience, strength and hope' it makes me forget my own needs, wants and desires, and takes me out of myself. I was always told, when I was in AA, to phone 2 newcomers every day. Even (especially) if I didn't want to. To ask how they were, and to be concerned for their well being.

Because i am not particularly good at talking to strangers, face to face or on the phone, I have found that this site enables me to contact people far easier. In hopefully helping others I have received a huge boost to my happiness recently. Just the action of doing it helps.

You're a valued member of this site Panache, and have helped me tremendously.

Thank you.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shauninspain View Post
I'm a fairly self centered person and can be selfish. Not in the 'This is mine and I'm not giving you any, go away' sense. But Drinking is the ultimate selfishness (if you're alcoholic), because you put your own short term needs above the health, happiness and security of everyone else. By sharing 'experience, strength and hope' it makes me forget my own needs, wants and desires, and takes me out of myself. I was always told, when I was in AA, to phone 2 newcomers every day. Even (especially) if I didn't want to. To ask how they were, and to be concerned for their well being.

Because i am not particularly good at talking to strangers, face to face or on the phone, I have found that this site enables me to contact people far easier. In hopefully helping others I have received a huge boost to my happiness recently. Just the action of doing it helps.

You're a valued member of this site Panache, and have helped me tremendously.

Thank you.
ShauninSpain thank you so much for that message it has really helped me and brought tears to my eyes. Again this reiterates the fact that just a short message on a forum can help someone achieve a sober life and a better state of mind. We are all dealing with a terrible addiction but with the help of each other we can achieve our dreams.
Stay in touch, we are all here for each other.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I love this site. I wish I would have found it when I first quit drinking. I think it would have helped me alot!

Even though I have been sober for 8 months now, this site really does help me. It helps keeps me grounded and reading other people stories and struggles lets me know that I am not alone.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
I love this site. I wish I would have found it when I first quit drinking. I think it would have helped me alot!

Even though I have been sober for 8 months now, this site really does help me. It helps keeps me grounded and reading other people stories and struggles lets me know that I am not alone.
Rather than reading BBC news I find myself reading the "stories of recovery" thread and realising I am not alone in my battle against drink. It makes me realise that my irrational thoughts of "I don't have a problem" are ridiculous and keep me going when times are tough. Again thank you to all who have shared their stories, hopefully I shall share my own story one day and help anyone who is in the cesspit I find myself in.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Panache - When I first joined I was a little annoyed with some of the lighthearted posts - the smilies - the upbeat, humor-filled threads. I came crawling in here feeling miserable and defeated. I wasn't in the mood for anything cheery or positive. Still, something kept me signing on each day - even though I was continuing to drink & not ready to quit. In my heart, I knew my life would be over if I continued on the way I was. The people here pulled me to my feet and showed me that life could be fun and happy again. They weren't drearily white-knuckling it through each day - they were happy and content. Who knew? I never had a lasting stretch of sober time until I came here - and that's not a coincidence.

Thank you for your beautifully expressed thoughts. They mean so much. We're glad you are here and finding comfort and encouragement. There really isn't any other place like SR. (I've looked )
Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think SR is a lifeline for so many people-this community is amazing!

Some days you feel defeated and down and need the support. Others you feel empowered and hopeful and can give support. The beauty of SR is you can take when you need to, and give when you're able to. With all of us participating there's enough encouragement and support to go around
Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope to be where you are someday
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

This post made me smile!

I couldn't agree more about SR!

And just know pan, I will carry this exact message in my heart SOOOO your positivity just rubbed off on me!!!!! TY!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
The beauty of SR is you can take when you need to, and give when you're able to. With all of us participating there's enough encouragement and support to go around
Freefall, that is such an eloquent way of expressing the true nature of this wonderful support system. 'Take when you need to and give when you're able to' is the essence of understanding and compassion.
Thank you for your heart-warming post
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I know what you mean. I'm actually pretty reserved in real life: my idea of hell is to go to a social gathering where I have to chit-chat with relative strangers. But for some odd reason, I just love, love, love my forums here, especially my monthly forum! I could waste a whole day on these boards! (I should get back to my schoolwork now!).
This. I was always the first one to leave the party, the few times I went and would go home and get hammered by myself.

What I've started to realize is that by self loathing myself so much it made it impossible for me to like others and others to like me.

Alcohol turned, or at least heavily contributed, me into a bitter misanthrope who was negative about everything. Getting sober has made me start to like and even forgive myself a little bit, at the same time gratitude is something I have to continuously work on.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
When I first joined I was a little annoyed with some of the lighthearted posts - the smilies - the upbeat, humor-filled threads.
Right? Who would've known I'd develop such a soft spot for these ridiculous smilies. It's like our own little slice of 1995 in here!

But for real. SR is like my virtual, sober equivalent of the bar where you sidle up and say "how's it hanging?" "Work sucks." "I hear that, have one on me."

Only here it's, "Man, sobriety huh?" "Hang in there man." "Give this girl an animated smilie, on the house!"