Notices

Somewhat Ashamed...

Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somewhat Ashamed...

Well, as my title suggests, I have some remorse about drinking a few beers on St. Patty's day - only 4 over the course of about 6-7 hours but nonetheless, I planned to not drink at all, went out, and just felt uncomfortable not drinking when everyone else around me was. I suppose the silver lining is that I didn't get drunk (like everyone else) and haven't had a drink since. I was on Day 13 at the time and am just going to consider this a "slip up" and just move on...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

I think that's the right attitude. Accept it, learn from it, and let it go. Try not to hold on to the shame, you didn't do anything to be ashamed of. When you fall short of a goal, remember that at least you had a goal in the first place. That's more than many people accomplish!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take it as a slip. It's not a good thing but it's not the end of the world, either. Just resolve to do better next time.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't minimise it, but don't beat yourself up either. Learn from this experience and keep moving forward
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I suppose I just had to be honest with somebody about it since nobody in my life knows what I am trying to accomplish here. This is one of the aspects that has made sobriety difficult for me: I was so good at hiding my problem that coming out with it now would almost seem like an unnecessary shock to my family...somewhat of a paradox actually. My older brother is an alcoholic, went to rehab, etc. and my family is clearly aware of his problem but not mine, which makes it even more difficult to "come clean" because 2 alcoholics in the family would likely be a shameful realization for my parents. How would you approach this??
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back soberD - whats your plan now?

D
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back soberD - whats your plan now?

D
Dee, your simple question is actually quite hard for me to answer. I would like to think that my will power and support through SR will be enough but I believe that the real missing element here is a live human being physically around me that actually cares enough to help me. Every friend, significant other, etc. that I have ever had was/is a drinker and my family doesn't know about my problem. It's odd to have so many people that come and go in your life but feel so isolated in this struggle. Oh, and I have been to some AA meetings too and knowing myself, unfortunately it just isn't something that I would stick with and/or embrace...so where that leaves me, I just don't know.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah it gets the cogs going...thats why I usually ask the question D

I think to have success in making this time a lasting success most of us fiond we need to add something to what we've been doing...whether thats AA, or some other group, or some other method, or counselling, or seeing your Dr - or even just posting here more...

think about what else you'd be prepared to do now.

Even the smallest ripple can grow into a decent sized wave, y'know?

D
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SoberD,
Have you considered therapy? Either talk therapy or CBT. I know it's not quite what you mean, but still.

I was in a similar place, SR helped tons, Allen Carr helped too, but I needed the human factor (I ws very isolated at this point). It all came together when I started seeing -yet another, lol- therapist. I had to hold myself accountable and it was overall a very positive experience, I learnt new stuff about myself and so on. I never felt pressured into sobriety either, but I did pledge to be totally honest with her right from the start. After some ups and downs, it worked

Just a thought.

oh of course there's the money issue but, well, best investment I ever made. Good luck!