What do you say?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you say?

If AH wants to engage and pick, pick, pick at you to engage in an argument, what do you do?

I am trying to be cheerful, give short, sweet answers and just appear like none of this is bothering me. When in actuality, everything he says is a load of crap right now!!!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

What do I do?

Step away from the addict!

Go take a walk (depending on what time zone you are in), go visit a friend, call a friend, go take a shower, anything to put distance between yourselves while he is trying to hook you into his drama.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't!!!!! My kids are sleeping. I can't and won't leave them here. He did take his dinner in the bedroom. I am on the couch on my laptop. I refuse to engage. I don't want to get hooked. I am trying sooooo hard tonight.

Normally, I would have already taken the hook...my big mouth always takes the hook. Tonight, I want to refuse it!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Good for you for doing something different this time!

Remember, it's progress not perfection in our recovery!

Have a Plan B for the next time. Like calling a friend or family member to have a friendly chat. Also taking a long, long shower can keep you away from him long enough for him to become distracted with something else.

Reading a book never works, they just keep talking, talking, talking. Sheeesh
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are doing well....sending you strength!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pelican...
Boy do I relate to the "talking talking talking"!!!!!

I was in the shower when he woke and got mad and decided to go get something to eat. I felt I had to get out quick cus I wanted to make sure he didn't go upstairs to bother the kids. 9/10 times he stays clear of the boys....but I always like to be in control and near if there is that potential.

I am learning to find distractions though...although I feel like I am lying to get out. For example, yesterday, I said I had errands to run. I really didn't...but it worked to get us out of the house. Today, i did the same.

I already scheduled a massage for tomorrow afternoon (thinking selfishly for myself) and told the boys I'd drop them off at the mall to go play glo golf. I figure that will keep us out of the house for a few hours and give us a chance to unwind.

I'm trying...nobody said this was going to be easy..
Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Its a tough situation. As a parent as well you cant leave your kids alone with an alcoholic nor one whos
Mental state is compromised.
What ive done....sonetimes its worked and sometimes it hasnt is ill go take a bath or "use the restroom too lomg lol" just to dissapear a bit.
If ah is completely wasted alot of the times hell forget im even there if I step out by doing so and carry on...eat drink and passing out.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

hate you had to deal with that last nite - it is sad that you can feel comfortable enough to relax and be safe in your own home - by safe I mean able to read a book, watch tv, surf the net without being pestered by the ragings of an A

Be there, done that - it's not easy to detach from their behaviors - sounds like you did a good job tho ~

try to remember whatever they say or do - it's not about you - it's just their own misery coming out!!

Keep taking good care of you & your children

pink hugs