Notices

A little help? Outpatient? AA? Please read!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation A little help? Outpatient? AA? Please read!

Well I just would like to say that I love to drink. Sure if I see some pills or pot, im there but the drink is my #1 drug of choice.

I stopped drinking for about two months because I suffered from a seizure after going off of wellbutrin (gross stuff).

Unfortunately, some loss of life (my grandmother passed away) and I picked up my habit once again because I felt a bit jaded with life. So I started up again and recently got way too drunk and had to be removed from the house (I live with my parents) by the paramedics/cops and was admitted over night in the ER until I was sober.

Right now I am living in horrible conditions (no heat, infestation, other problems), at my other grandmothers house. I haven't had any drugs or alcohol for 2-3 days. My mother is afraid that I will get the flu and pass it onto my grandmother who has dialysis, other problems and is elderly.

So now according to my parents, I need to go to rehab. I was recommended by the ER psych that I attended an outpatient program. I was also reading on here how some people really benefit from AA or NA, which I never attended before.

So I would like to know from you vets or anyone really, should I try the AA before committing myself to a program or should I just jump into it and see what happens. I have a feeling that if I had a sponsor or AA when my grandmother passed, I would have never picked up the bottle again.

Btw last time I quit cold turkey and yes it was hard, but I haven't been drinking nearly as much as when that happened. I remember the tremors and the gross smell I had when I first quit, but these last two days without the alcohol haven't been too harsh, actually I'm just uncomfortable being in somebody elses house.

Thanks you to anyone that took the time to read this and has any input at all, negative or positive. Another thing is that I have no insurance currently so I don't know how I will pay for this without something like Medicaid.

Thanks again,

F
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Give AA a try. Tell them it is your first meeting and they will help you.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
Give AA a try. Tell them it is your first meeting and they will help you.
Thanks for your help. This is what I was thinking, now I just need to convince my arrogant parents who see AA as child's play and not a serious institution.

Maybe I should convince one of them to attend my first meeting with me? Is this a good idea or will it just blow up in my face? I really don't know what to say to them so they will take AA serious and see that I want change, aside from showing them this thread of course, which they will probably laugh at or see as some sort of trick.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

his is what I was thinking, now I just need to convince my arrogant parents who see AA as child's play and not a serious institution.
You can give them these facts.. And if that isn't a serious institution, then I don't know what would qualify.

Today, A.A. has a presence in over 170 countries, with an estimated total of 114,070 groups and more than 2 million members worldwide. Alcoholics Anonymous, now in its fourth edition, has sold over 30 million copies and has been translated into 67 languages.

Another thing is that I have no insurance currently so I don't know how I will pay for this without something like Medicaid.
There are rehabs that will take you with or without the ability to pay.. I am over in Cleveland and we have quite a few for men and women. I know they do all over NY also, so just go to a meeting and meet some people they will help you find the way..
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like your parents will be a lot more supportive if you go to a rehab. Your current living condition and everything else you've stated leads me to believe it would be your best bet.

I went to a detox, then AA. After a month in AA I knew I needed more help and signed myself into a rehab. Almost 29 years later I'm still sober and know it was one of the healthiest decisions of my life. If you go to a rehab with a true desire to stop drinking, an open mind, and all the willingness you can muster up you will walk out with an incredibly large and useful bag of tools for sobriety. They can really help to set you on a path to a new life. I highly recommend it.

Why is it that you don't want to go to a rehab?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey thanks guys, some great advice.

To Joe, its not that I don't wanna go to rehab, it's that I'm kinda new to this whole thing (gettin help that is) and want to explore my options. I did a bunch of research and read some threads about people who got sober just coming on this site, to people who loved/hated AA and it worked for them, then of course the people that did the whole rehab inpatient/outpatient so I'm just trying to feel out what is best for me.
Although, you staying sober for that long gives me hope and I will consider what you told me!
Tomorrow theres a steps meeting that I am looking forward to checking out near me, its only like an hour so maybe I can get the best of both worlds ya know?
It's easier to go to meetings than to sign up for a rehab knowing I might not enjoy the facility; they both have their benefits and flaws IMO.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I went to a rehabilitation center, I was in AA meetings a few times a week. The rehabilitation focused on AA. There is not any rehab that I am aware of that is enjoyable or that anybody likes. Do you think that you need rehab?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

It's easier to go to meetings than to sign up for a rehab knowing I might not enjoy the facility;
Its not about enjoyment.. Its about saving your life and giving you a life free from the bondage of self and alcohol..

And going to meetings isnt going to keep you sober, you are going to have to WORK the Steps.. It sure as hell ain't easy.. just to let you know..
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that if you have the motivation, the program you choose is not a big issue. I was extremely motivated when I stopped drinking and I did it on my own. I used a lot of good books and eventually found SR which has been a lifeline for me. Whatever program or method of recovery you choose, you will have to do the work and if you do, you'll be fine.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey FMP

There's many paths up the mountain - many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The Salvation Army do run some free rehab programmes in many areas of the US - you might want to check those out too if you feel rehab is the way to go.

The Salvation Army Family Stores: Rehabilitation Program

D