Notices

50 Years Old and Fell in a Fire Pit - [Longish]

Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 Years Old and Fell in a Fire Pit - [Longish]

I am 50 years old and have been binge drinking on the weekends since I was 13 years old (except for 5 or so years when I was pregnant, baby was little, etc.).

I knew I drank way too much, but I figured that it was no big deal because (i) I only drink beer, (ii) I only drink on the weekends, (iii) I don't drive drunk, and (iv) I don't crave beer during the work week. Also my husband drinks beer, only the weekends too, and he has no problem with my drinking. Never mind the fact that I've passed out at least 3 times, vomited on my little dog (didn't remember doing this but my son was really mad at me the next day and said he had to clean my dog), blacked-out numerous times, and generally made a butt of myself on more than one occasion in the last 10 years alone. Oh yeah, I also have high blood pressure, weight gain, high cholesterol and triglycerides.

Well on Friday, 3/8/13, I drank too much beer while out camping and fell on my face in a fire pit full of burning coals. I got second degree burns on my hands and chin and I've spent the last two weeks at work trying to hide my burns because I don't want my employer to know.

After my initial shock, humiliation, sorrow, and self-loathing have somewhat subsided, I realize that getting burned was the best thing that has happened to me. This has truly called the meeting to order concerning my alcohol abuse. I won't let my burns be in vain. I am using them to my benefit and cleaning-up and sobering-up my life. I have made a personal vow and commitment to myself (with God) to never knowingly touch alcohol again.

Almost everyone in my life has told me never to say never. I don't care...I'm saying never. I haven't touched or even wanted to touch beer since 3/8/13. Last weekend, we went to a BBQ at our friends house (I was the DD for my husband) and my friends kept telling me to just have a beer, that I was more fun when I drank, that I can never not drink again etc. (these same friends were camping with us and had firsthand knowledge of my injuries). I wasn't making a big deal about me not drinking, I didn't even bring it up, and I was having fun visiting, drinking diet coke/water, and staying the moment. At one point in my life, I might have gotten mad or probably even given in and drank, but my resolve to stay sober is stronger than my desire to drink.

I know (pray) I have a long journey and many challenges and many weekends ahead of me, but I really want and need my weekends to always be sober ones.

Thanks for letting me tell my story. Sandy
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

You need new friends :-)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome Sandy

you sound very strong and positive which is great.your friends sound like they have their own drinking issues
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Doggonecarl and ReadyAtLast, I do intend to "broaden" my group of friends if my current friends don't respect my decision. I hope it won't come to that, but if it does, then they really weren't my friends anyway.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your accident, and I'm glad that it was a wake-up call for you. I know that you will be able to do this, as long as you have the motivation to live a sober life.

This is just me, but I couldn't have been around 'friends' who were urging me to drinking when I began recovery and not for a long time after. Now, I would definitely choose to not be around people who were pushing me to drink. Who needs that!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl - you need new folks to hang with.
These folks are not your friends.
Friends have your best interest at heart.
Friends respect your lifestyle choices.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

@soberweekender-I been there. When I was 55, I was a champagne and white zinfandel drinker. Nobody was able to tell me anything and of course I never thought I needed to be on this site, but 3 years ago, I stopped the social drinking cold turkey because my brother who is a hard core substance and alcohol abuser used it as a way to justify his issues with alcohol and drugs. I never had any serious issues with the champagne and white zinfandel, but after he said that to me...I never drank again.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I really hope it works for you. Do you find it difficult to not drink when your husband does? Congrats on making through the party with all that pressure. You have great strength to not cave!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sandy. It's great that you joined us. This place got me straightened out and kept me strong, after a lifetime of drinking.

I was in my 50's when dangerous things started happening to me. I'd somehow avoided dui's and other troubles, but things were changing. I got in a lot of trouble and my life was becoming very complicated. The heavy drinking was taking it's toll after almost 30 yrs. I did what you're doing now - decided to leave that old way of life behind. I am free - and you will be too. Congratulations on making this decision.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome! I pray that your resolve sticks, and that you stay here with us and express yourself here. We will support you!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi,
Good for you! I got sober reading everything here and using the Women for Sobriety program.(womenforsobriety.org) I, too, decided that I would never drink again, and I never looked back. I did and do often avoid drinking events, as drunken, slurring people don't seem much fun anymore. I have changed things I do, and friends I have. You sound. So resolved, but keep coming here, read, get a sober support system.

I agree that you need new friends. Sober weekends are a great time to look into what you used to love to do, and reignite some old passions or find new ones. Sobriety, in my view, needs new interests to stick, and there is a whole wonderful world out there for the sober you!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I'm glad you weren't burned worse than that but also glad you've made the decision to stop drinking. I stopped over three years ago and my life has never been better.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Sandy and welcome. I am so glad the burns weren't worse and I applaud your decision. Over in the March Class thread a whole bunch of us are starting out on the road to recovery, you'd be welcomed there with open arms.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sandy,

Don't you hate it when "friends" say you are more fun when you drink?
Good for you love. You can do this. I believe you can.

SR is a great place to share with people and get the support that you need.

CaiHong
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you weren't hurt more seriously Sandy.
I'm glad you've decided to change your life - welcome aboard

D
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome and replies everyone. I'm happy to have found support here. As I'm sitting here looking at my burnt figures trying to type I am reminded of my need to stay sober. When the fingers heal and the scars fade I know I will need to stay strong and glad to have you all to turn to. Formy2boys...so far it isn't hard to not drink beer when my husband does, but it has only been one weekend. This weekend may be a bit harder because we are going to the desert and I have strong associations with desert weekends and beer drinking. Right now...all I have to do is look at my fingers as a clear reminder to abstain.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

@Soberweekender, you will be fine. I remember when I stopped drinking cold turkey. Everybody wondered how I did this and I did not have you guys back then. I told them that besides one day at a time which sounds like a cliche but in honesty, really is true.....I also made it a point to remind myself about "the why" and that kept me on track. I do believe you will be fine during a weekend out. Stay strong.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Redvelvetcake59. I'm happy to report that I did stay strong last weekend in the desert and I didn't break my sobriety. I had many people question me about not drinking, some people told me it won't last, but more people were supportive of me, including one 70 year old guy friend of mine who hasn't touched alcohol in 27 years after he decided to quit cold turkey.

I did trip and fall walking up steps in the hotel and I re-injured my burnt hand a bit (instant blood blisters and bleeding because my skin is so raw), and I was really upset. My first thoughts were I might as well drink beer since I still fall when I'm sober, so why even bother and then I immediately changed my thoughts to thank God I wasn't drinking because I would have been so let down with myself. I can see that I have knee-jerk reactions to certain situations that make me want to go back to my old beer drinking ways that I will have to keep mindful of.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberweekender View Post
I am 50 years old and have been binge drinking on the weekends since I was 13 years old (except for 5 or so years when I was pregnant, baby was little, etc.).
Welcome to SR!! You have found a great (and potentially live saving) resource! Please read the stories and learn as much as you can about alcohol.

Well on Friday, 3/8/13, I drank too much beer while out camping and fell on my face in a fire pit full of burning coals. I got second degree burns on my hands and chin and I've spent the last two weeks at work trying to hide my burns because I don't want my employer to know.

I am sorry to hear about this! I hope that you are recovering well. Sometimes I think that the powers that be may sometimes be cruel, but from this I feel that you will find great strength to keep you on track!!

Last weekend, we went to a BBQ at our friends house (I was the DD for my husband) and my friends kept telling me to just have a beer, that I was more fun when I drank, that I can never not drink again etc.
I find this highly disturbing. Considering your "friends" saw what happened to you, they should be offering as much support as possible to help keep you sober and to encourage you to continue on YOUR chosen path. You may want to consider putting some distance between you and them.

[quote]I know (pray) I have a long journey and many challenges and many weekends ahead of me, but I really want and need my weekends to always be sober ones. /quote]

You will do well!! Just be kind to yourself and take the time to learn as much as you can about alcohol and ways to get yourself healthy both mentally and physically!!

Thanks for letting me tell my story. Sandy
Thank you for telling your story! We have all come from various roads that lead us here. All the stories tell a tale and are worth reading and learning from.

Take care and be well!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
days.jpg (3.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am so sorry that happened to you, and glad you are okay! Welcome to SR, you will find many amazing people on this site.