Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Extreme Help Needed for loved ones. Four loko addiction & tolerance?

Notices

Extreme Help Needed for loved ones. Four loko addiction & tolerance?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Extreme Help Needed for loved ones. Four loko addiction & tolerance?

So I've been searching and searching online for some information on these "blackouts in a can". My fiancées parents have been drinking three or FOUR of these EVERY single NIGHT for almost an entire year. Well, they recently (past 2 months) had to start drinking three or four (it was only two a night..each) because their tolerance is so high, they could barely get drunk.

Lately they (especially his mom) have been complaining of severe "stomach" pains and issues, and just constant pain everywhere. I've tried to help and explain it was the four lokos (they used to drink "Blast", which is essentially the same thing), but they don't believe it. I'm worried for her health. She's 43 but looks almost 60 (I've noticed a HUGE change in appearance in the past year). They get no nutrition, zero exercise, and smoke..a lot.

I'm worried it won't be long until something serious happens

SO. What I'm looking for is some information of the long-term effects on the body of these energy drink alcohol drinks. I want to prove to them the dangerous effects but can't find them online. I was hoping these forums would be of some kind of help. Anyone had any bad experiences with these?

Thanks so much.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. You are going to find convincing an alcoholic that they have a problem very frustrating.

If you have to cite something about the problem them have, get them the AA Big Book (available online). They don't have a Four Loko problem. They have an alcohol problem.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am kind of wondering how they are still getting this as they seem to have been discontinued and recalled in late 2010. However, they are probably drinking some type of beer, malt liquor, or wine coolers, etc to compensate for what they were getting before, which may also be why they are drinking more (possible lower alcohol content in current brands). And over time with alcohol abuse, one's tolerance does increase and it does take more alcohol to get the same 'buzz' or 'numbness' that one is used to.

Recycling 'blackouts in a can' should inspire other uses for recalled food | Grist

the long term results on their bodies will be the same as with any alcohol abuse. You can google "effect on health from excessive alcohol consumption."

I would suggest you try some Alanon meetings for yourself as the only one who can help them is themselves.

We have a really great Friends and Family forum:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

with lot of great experience. Hope to see you there!

Love and hugs,