Notices

First week

Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First week

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and this question may have already been answered countless times (and I apologise for that) BUT, what coping strategies to you use/have use in the first week of getting sober?

How did you stave off the cravings, anxiety, urges and depression.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. In the past 7 years I have only been sober for 2 consecutive days, as the pressure just gets too much - it's so easy to just have a drink and make everything worse.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If anyone can answer this I'd really appreciate it too.

At the moment some things I'm doing include: having the house stocked full of new, weird and exotic fruit and just gorging on that to distract myself through urges.

But that's small stuff. Anxiety and depression is much harder to deal with, and I've suffered from both for years. That end-of-the-day feeling when you're wound up so tight you can't breathe, and you're used to being able to make it go away with a bottle... that's what us newbies need help coping with.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more snowbunting, ways to combat the anxiety/depression without having to resort to the bottle?

I get to my 2nd day sober and I am so agitated/frustrated I feel I have no option to calm my "brain" but to open a bottle.

I know there's the normal "go for a walk", but going for a walk for me, would probably resort in me walking to the shop, I think I'm safer locking the door of the house and riding it out.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 but its much easier for me as I usually wait until the weekends to do my crazy drinking....the hard time will be after work Friday or Saturday afternoon if I make it that far...
I did fancy a drink after work tonight though. Instead I went for a long walk and treated myself to a chocolate bar.
Its about the need to reward yourself in some way I guess. But the best reward for me is coming home clear headed feeling refreshed and not jaded from alcohol.
Exercise can really help for me. The times I had the longest gaps between bingeing sessions are when I'm regularly going to the gym, yoga class, swimming or/and cycling.
It does amazing things for me mentally and physically, but sometimes I need to remind myself that and force myself back into the habit.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm classing my first sober day tomorrow as I more than definitely woke up drunk this morning and that does not count.

I've only ever been able to go 2 days drink free and that was a real STRUGGLE! It's crazy how much power the stuff has over me and how far I'd go to just have one glass!

I'm not a sweet or chocolate fan, but have been reading the forums about how my body will have lost vital sugars when I detox, so perhaps it's time I enjoyed chocolate.

I enjoy reading, but when I'm coming off alcohol I can't even concentrate on simple TV programmed, so reading would be a pointless exercise of me re-reading every sentence and taking nothing in.

I have considered going the doctors for medication to aid in the process, but having time off at such short notice is not easy where I work. So I guess it's a case of going through the motions and finding solace on this site - fingers crossed!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ineedtostop

i need to stop

today is my first day on here and i plan on not drinking any more and i hope that chatting with everyone on here and gods help we can make it
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do NOT want to drink ANYMORE either.
Surely if you want to stop so much you will just STOP????

Funny how you can convince yourself its a good idea....and that your drinking is not that bad afterall.....etc, etc
Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh I'm not drinking tonight Flicker, but I just feel like I'm cheating myself if I woke up clearly still intoxicated. Waking up with nothing in my system is an entirely different matter, lets see how I do then! (Fingers crossed, WELL!)

The site has given me a lot of positives and encouragement and I'm looking forward to talking to you all in the future.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1shorty View Post
today is my first day on here and i plan on not drinking any more and i hope that chatting with everyone on here and gods help we can make it
I agree with you 1shorty, stay in touch, anything is possible if we put our minds to it.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am counting Monday as my first day sober as was out Saturday night and defo still under the influence for the first part of Sunday. I wish you lots of luck, you can do it!!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You too Flicker, stay in touch!

I guess you have to pick your own date which feels good for you and stick to it. But registering on this site is a definite positive. Like I said in my first post, I'm excited to write in a forum on a subject I know A LOT about
Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Panache - something that has really helped me is the Jason Vale book. I never drank to be cool or grown up, I drank because once I'd tried it I discovered I liked to be drunk, but I feel the way I do (drunk) because I've just poured poison into my body.

So now I recall the ****** hangover the next day, the way I'm not really present for my kids when I'm drunk (even if they are in their beds), and I recall that alcohol causes anxiety, not takes it away.

So I ride the urge, drink lime and soda water or tea, go to bed sober and wake up without a hangover. It's awesome, and getting better and more addictive in itself every day.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Hi everyone,

I went to AA meetings and listened and received hope from others who were staying sober and I did what they did.

Took suggestions. It is key.

That was your first one.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For all of you in the first week of sobriety it is important that you take care of yourself physically....eating 3 meals a day, avoiding sugars, lots of fiber, keep hydrated with water and juices.

HALT is a simple daily program and hunger comes first. If you are feeling Angry, depressed, anxious...call or meet with recovery people and talk about it...you don't have to divulge all your personal problems...feeling lonely get to a meeting or with family and friends. See if you can help someone also in your shoes...and very important get some decent sleep! Right now it doesn't matter if you sleep too much...sleep helps the body and mind regenerate...HALT works no matter where one is in recovery.

If I'm feeling out of sorts or that addict voice is talking I walk through HALT.

Best to you all...you are doing well. And you helped me live sober for today.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 19 after my last relapse. I am doing 90 meetings in 90 days, and so far, I've been going to 1 meeting a day. Throughout the day, I randomly come on SR and read posts. I've always been a gym person, so my gym routine is right back on track. I know there are some other suggestions that I should be doing, but easy does it, right?

During the first several days after relapsing, I knew that I needed to take it easy and not overwhelm myself. Stacking too much on my plate causes me stress, and stress was just another trigger to make me use or drink. The first two days I stayed in bed, and watched movies all day long. The third day I got up and went to the gym. I think I combined a meeting and the gym on the fourth day. I've been doing that ever since. I hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
what coping strategies to you use/have use in the first week of getting sober?

As mentioned, trying to look after yourself in eating good food regularly, and getting enough sleep. If possible for you, jogging/running is something I found really useful.

Best of luck getting through tonight.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Indigo71 View Post

As mentioned, trying to look after yourself in eating good food regularly, and getting enough sleep. If possible for you, jogging/running is something I found really useful.

Best of luck getting through tonight.
That's the only problem indigo, sleep evades me when I haven't drank. Thankfully I have a day off work tomorrow to fight through the insomnia and have a new day and a new start tomorrow. I know it will take a few days to feel strong enough to go for a jog or any exercise (as when I come off drink I have the worst palpitations.)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Panache, Indigo-------Come on you can do this. Just remember one day
at a time. Hang in there. Be strong.---It will only get better.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post
Panache, Indigo-------Come on you can do this. Just remember one day
at a time. Hang in there. Be strong.---It will only get better.
Thank you Babs! Hanging in there, the forum is helping MASSIVELY!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile

I know exactly where you are coming from --that's how i got through
it was from this thread. I'm now on day 18 and very proud. I just hope I can
keep going.