Notices

New to Forum - Is this normal?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Forum - Is this normal?

Hi Guys!

I am new to this forum and think it will be a great help.

I am Jackie 44 year old living in England. No money relationship or job stresses good life but I like the booze. I never drank to cover anything emotional issue up it just grabbed me. Had 3 major episodes of withdrawal anxiety and panic. I cut down my drinking last year, having on AF beers and a few wines on a weekend. Xmas arrived not good another episode, got over that, then last Thursday buried my friend and drank 1.5 bottles of red wine. Friday I stopped, I am now on day 6 and have never been this long without alcohol in about 3 years I think and I feel terrible.

I have terrible anxiety on a morning clears up during day, how long will this last? I am on AD's and have Valium but will not take this unless extremely bad. I have not taken any this week, and feel each day the anxiety will hopefully subside, will it?

Your experiences would be much appreciated.

Jackie xx
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very early days, everything gets better if you stay off alcohell long enough. Early days are tough , grind it out Good things await.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My anxiety greatly reduced after I stopped drinking. Your meds wont work very well unless you're alcohol free, from what I've heard. Welcome!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It takes a while to settle your system, give yourself some time. I am much like you, didn't have any real "excuse" to drink but I sure did abuse it. Ended up losing a lot of the "good life" in the end too. I was also hospitalized (self-admitted) for panic attacks twice...I didn't listen to the warning signs and then had seizures the following year. I was drinking heavily and on zoloft, prozac, and klonipin at different times and did not use the meds properly.

After I quit it took a month, now I do not suffer any of the same prior symptoms of anxiety. I am not taking drugs at all and have been clean 8 months. Good luck to you!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JAC13, welcome to the SR forums -- this place has been INVALUABLE to me and I hope it will be to you as well.

Was just browsing thefix.com and came across this article on anxiety among the newly sober. I hope it will be helpful to you:

How to Handle Panic Attacks | The Fix

Stay strong and stay SOBER!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Guys!

Thanks SO much for all your replies and support. I have felt really flat today, not depressed but flat, just keep telling myself it is a symptom of the withdrawal?

Jackie xx
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the anxiety and the flatness you are feeling will both diminish over time. Keep focusing on your recovery. For me, stopping drinking was just the start and I had to work on myself and making changes in my life in order to recover.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had anxiety for several weeks after I stopped drinking. You say you just buried your friend, maybe the anxiety is not all related to drinking. I am sorry you are going through such a rough time. It will pass. Hopefully soon.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't even know what anxiety was until I started drinking! First episode went to Docs and told them about my habit, they threw AD's (Citalopram) at me and that was it! If I had been more responsible I should have realised it was the booze! I have been on forums for years looking at why I have anxiety and the light bulb moment was last week! Even though I was drinking half of what I used to it still had its hold on me. 6th day today is unknown territory for me and my brain is still questioning why I have morning anxiety and strange thoughts throughout the day!

Jackie xx
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of wonderful people here all rowing in the same direction, and we help each other along by our strength, hope, courage and our shared frailties as well.

I would say that it was perfectly normal for you to be feeling very anxious at the moment and it was nothing to worry about. It's just a symptom of a number of events that have built up in your life, and they are rattling around inside you. Gradually, they'll find a way out naturally, rather than be squashed down by the sledgehammer that is alcohol. One way that I coped with the nerves in the past was to write a small 'gratitude list' every day. Just 3-4 things that you are grateful for. Simple things such as a bed to sleep in, a warm shower, food inside you, not vomiting etc etc. These small things mount up very quickly and when you review your list (may be a good idea to do this in the morning) you will be amazed at all the +ve things that are in your life.

As time passes you may be surprised to discover that you have indeed been drinking for underlying reasons that are as yet unapparent to you. Self medicating by using a drug is oftentimes the result of wishing not to feel certain emotions.

Anyway, welcome to your new club!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Jackie
D
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just see how you feel without drinking for a while and then make it a little longer. I bet you will feel so much better. I know at work I feel great and in the mornings no issues. When I'm bored I so research on the Internet or write out my feelings. I can think of so much to do without drinking. Good luck and thanks for posting
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

How are you all? Well it's 10pm in England and we are expecting more snow

I am on my 6th day AF, woke with Anxiety but took the dogs out and felt better, just taking each day as it comes.

Jackie xx
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by JAC13 View Post
Hi Guys

How are you all? Well it's 10pm in England and we are expecting more snow

I am on my 6th day AF, woke with Anxiety but took the dogs out and felt better, just taking each day as it comes.

Jackie xx
It will get better the longer you're sober. My anxiety isn't near what it was when I was drinking.

Question: what sort of dogs do you have? I love dogs!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

8th day AF and I am feeling very emotional today just want to cry is this normal?

I love my dogs hun, I have 3 mini labradoodles named Betty and Charlie

Jackie xx
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster Jackie. You've also recently suffered a great loss. I think all this is very very normal under those circumstances.

Stick with it - things will level out

D
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi

Thanks SO much for your support and kind words

I am nearly through day 8 as its 9.21pm in England

Jackie xx
Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on those hard-earned 8 days JAC. As the others said, it does get better and easier as you go along. I was an emotional mess in the beginning, but we go through many phases as we begin to heal. It will all calm down.

Glad you are here and working on kicking that stuff out of your life. You can do it.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Hope you are all ok?

Well have way through day 9 and can't stop eating sweets (candy)! Why is this? Any ideas?

Jackie x
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
All is Change

See a doc. There may be a correlation between seratonin and sugar also look at endorphines and adrenalin. It could be your body is seeking a balance.

edit add Welcome.