My First Al-Anon Meeting

Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Al-Anon Meeting

I went to my first Al-Anon meeting on Sunday and I cried the entire time I was there. I was asked if I wanted to speak and I shook my head no. They passed the tissue box to the chair beside me and I'm sure I used half of it. I listened, and honestly it seemed that not a lot resonated.

However, I found it easier after the meeting when a couple of a women approached me and just asked me in a very gentle way what my story was. I shared a bit of what was going on in my life. Some of how I had gotten to this moment. They encouraged me to try out different meetings to find what was the best fit for me and to just keep coming back.

I also began to really think about my relationships with alcoholics as my husband isn't the only one. My grandfather (with whom I was extremely close and who passed away when I was 7 - I still remember attending his funeral), my brother, and a very close male friend (who like my husband was both alcoholic and drug addict and passed away this last September - and I've been having a hard time dealing with that loss).

The talk of detaching and not being too much of a cheerleader and not being able to change anything, quite frankly, depressed me. It's a lot to take in and work through.

Yesterday, I was feeling a need to get into a better more positive head space, so I exercised... Something that's hard to motivate myself to do when we've just gotten 3 more days and almost as many feet of snow. But I needed it and I did feel better. And I'm looking forward to the next Al-Anon meeting and what I might learn about myself by going to them.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Yeaahhh . . .

Nearly everybody has the big sobby break down on the first meeting.

Except for the ones trying to keep the big fake smile on their face. Truth. They tend to fall to pieces when everyone/anyone comes and is real with them at the end of the meeting.

We have ALL been there, done that. All OK. You already DID the hard part -- The first meeting.

Good job on that. Just like they say -- keep coming back, it works if you work it -- true dat.

It will hit again from time-to-time. All fine and just part of the process.

I so hate it (me) when they want to rescue me with the tissue box.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

I so hate it (me) when they want to rescue me with the tissue box.
I was quite thankful that they just placed it there without saying anything, because the amount of fluids flowing from my eyes and nose clearly needed some cleaning up.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by 23missb View Post
I was quite thankful that they just placed it there without saying anything, because the amount of fluids flowing from my eyes and nose clearly needed some cleaning up.
It is a guy thing. Would rather wipe snot on my sleeve than get "tissues" from a bunch of very (very, very) nice ladies.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
It is a guy thing. Would rather wipe snot on my sleeve than get "tissues" from a bunch of very (very, very) nice ladies.
When I read this I laughed, agreed and thought ewwww all at the same time.

Have to admit though, been there, done that.

Your friend,