Notices

Can't believe I'm not going to drink even though got bad news

Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't believe I'm not going to drink even though got bad news

So this early evening I walk to my front door and there on the carpet is a notice of eviction...I owe a lot of rent ( always found money for drink though). My friends are out and I have been invited along. I am not going. Here's what the script would be if I did...

Drink and talk about my problem...drink some more...laugh, cry make some new resolutions...on the way home go and get another bottle of wine or maybe some vodka/orange. That way not such a bad head tomorrow and therefore would consider that I'm ok. I don't feel like crap so everything's ok. Except ...chances are I'll miss my 10am meeting tomorrow, would lack the courage to talk to my landlord and come up with a realistic payment plan, feel terrible when I have to go and teach tomorrow night, not do any sales or moving my career forward tomorrow.

But then.... I remember something wonderful.... don't have a drink and this scenario goes away. Right away. Talk to SR and share. That's what I've decided to do. That's what I am doing. Now tomorrow's script looks very different. Better...healthier and more courageous. Instead of picking up a bottle I've picked up my laptop.

THANK YOU SR FORUM...for providing an opportunity for me to stop, reflect and share xxx
Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congrats on your willpower. It is so funny how for so long we all trained ourselves to do the exact least helpful thing in times of trial. Good for you on reversing it!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great choice caravagio

D
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear your news Caravagio but glad you're making the right choices In a way I think sometimes when the proverbial sh;t hits the fan it's easier to be strong. I remember getting an eviction notice once and handling it pretty well and finding a new place, but sometimes the littlest thing will throw me into a spin. I hope you get things sorted x
Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you Caravagio. It's a wonderful feeling when we finally realize nothing will be made better by picking up. The problem will still be there, and we'll be sick and disgusted with ourselves. Nothing will get resolved by getting numb. I'm so happy you handled it this way.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice. In my experience a landlord can be handled by giving them something - ANYTHING - now. Even if your rent is $1000, see if he or she will just take $200 now and give you some time to find the rest. Evicting someone requires lawyers, court costs, legal fees. This 'last notice' hopefully gives them time to avoid this last resort.

Good luck, and good move on not drinking! It starts with being sober, this is the best way to approach a difficult situation.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done I hope I'm as strong as you when the next crisis comes my way xxx
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I proud of your decision to take some right action in regards to this situation! This is a great sign you are making progress in your recovery!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay, great choice! I hope that talking to your landlord works out for you.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Wow...this is a new feeling. Seriously the idea of drinking tonight made me feel really bad and sad. Weirdly looking forward to tomorrow x