Notices

Anyone else notice celebrities?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else notice celebrities?

I couldn't care less if a celebrity is gay anymore, but now that I've quit drinking, I'm really interested anytime I hear one say they've stopped.

Last night Aaron Eckhart admitted he's been sober for 8 years now. Maybe it's old news, but I didn't know. He said he gave up smoking about the same time. Seems like my ears just perk up and I feel more interested in them. John Goodman says it's been 6 years for him and Bradley Cooper said he gave it up 7-8 years ago.

Anyone else keep track of celebrities this way or am I just a star effer?

In a way, it kind of motivates me.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Celebrities and Recovery....what is up?

I did not know about Bradley Cooper, Aaron Eckhart or John Goodman but I sure am glad to hear that they gave it up instead of cases like Lindsay Lohan, Justin Bieber recently, the recent death of the country western female singer who some tried to blame Dr Drew after she had been in his rehab for celebrities several times (sure ain.t his fault...trust and believe that) and just a long line of other failures that are too many to name.

Recovery is plain and simple....how bad do you want it. If you want it bad enough, you will be successful no matter what. If you are playing at wanting it, failure is definitely around the corner. Recovery is one of those things that honestly nobody can actually help you with it...you have to pull yourself up by the boot straps and just do it.

People have go to stop treating recovery as if it is no big deal. Going in and out of recovery or rehab is not cute. It is not a game and people have lost their lives. I recently watched a documentary on the 28 year old curse. It seems that many a famous person who turned 28 fell to the drug scene and overdosed and died. It is so sad, but folks got to take recovery more serious. I am not sure what should be done, but something has to be done and more aggressively I might add.

One of the most frightening things I ever heard came out of the mouth of Richard Pryor during a story someone did on him. During the interview I remember him saying that he knew he was in trouble when the drugs started talking back to him saying " Richard, don't answer the door and let nobody in. All you need is me. Them folks don't care about you the way I do. You don't need nobody but me.

Now imagine drugs talking back at you like that....that is bananas.,..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anthony H., John "Ozzy" O., and Jack O. to name a few...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I can recommend Craig Ferguson's book "American On Purpose" if you're into star struggles.....
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally think it's great and a huge accomplishment for anyone to get sober, whether they are a celebrity or not. Being famous shouldn't enhance or lessen it in any way.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it can be good to see celebrities get clean and sober. however, i presonally get more encouragement from the ones that at one time lived under a bridge or in a box.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anthony Hopkins kind of surprised me.

It's always good to hear of someone getting sober, it's just that it's more likely to make the news and be out there if someone famous does it.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Eddie2010 View Post
Anthony Hopkins kind of surprised me.

It's always good to hear of someone getting sober, it's just that it's more likely to make the news and be out there if someone famous does it.
You'd be surprised at some of the names I've come across in the rooms who are very private about their recovery progs. and it never makes the news.

Which is as it should be really.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

there is a new special section for these kinds of threads now, just above Newcomers.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Fandy!

I didn't even notice it before.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I read Duff McKagan's book last year when I first jumped on the wagon. Not into "stars" at all but I found it to be inspiring.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here's a bunch.

I just like that they make it more understood by folks in the public.

List of teetotalers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

david bowie got himself clean in the late 70's
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
now's the time

OK, my Bradley Cooper crush will be incurable now!

Craig Ferguson I found out about recently... stumbled across this very nice speech he gave from back in the day about why he didn't feel it was right to tear Britney Spears apart for her mental illness: Craig Ferguson Speaks From The Heart - YouTube
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I notice this too. Not long after rehab I googled "celebs who are recovering alcoholics" just out of curiosity. I never cared before but boy I cared now. I also looked at "athletes who don't drink" also, but didn't see too many names...but that's because MOST star athletes don't drink - that's why their ultra elite. Kinda made me feel good to see all that stuff.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There was another thread about giving up alcohol and looking better. I think you can almost see it in those celebs that quit.

Case in point. Chelsea Handler hasn't quit and looks pretty rough some nights on her show. Kind of shocking how much better she looked just 5 years ago.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kristin Davis from Sex and the City has been sober since she was 22.