Notices

Do you think about being an addict all the time?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you think about being an addict all the time?

This is all new to me. Not sure where I stand and right now I'm definitely overwhelmed with the possibility of being labelled something for life. As time goes on, do those of you who are alcoholics think about the fact that you are an alcoholic less? Not about drinking, but about the label? Right now I'm ruminating on it and its hard to deal with. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I cringed at the label Alcoholic. When I see alcoholic I think a dirty, smelly homeless man drunk on the street.

I'm a 26yr old Female, reasonably intelligent and funny. There is no way I could be an addict. But then I also drink to excess, blackout, make a fool of myself in social situations, lie to cover my drinking habits, missed work because I've been too drunk/hungover to work. If it acts like an addict then it is an addict.

One Day at a Time is a phrase you will hear alot on these boards. Don't focus on your label, focus on your recovery. Wake up and tell yourself "today I am not having a drink". Not "today i'm not having a drink because I'm an alcoholic and I will be it for the rest of my life and oh my gosh I can never drink again" because that will spin you out.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never think of myself that way. I don't see a point. We should be careful with the terms we use to define ourselves, because those terms can shape who we are. Instead of an 'addict' or especially an 'alcoholic', I am someone who chooses not to consume alcohol.

Last edited by avocado; 03-18-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

The name or label is only what you want to call it..

I am alcoholic and addict.. And thats okay with me, because I am a recovered one..

But you don't need to label yourself anything.. Just simply that you have allergy to alcohol..

And that allergy simply means that when you drink you can't control it.. And then instead of you taking a drink, the drink takes you..

Worry about calling yourself whatever later..
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find that if I think about it all the time I get stuck feeling bad about it and have trouble moving forward. I made a promise to myself to never drink again. Ever. I know I can't let my guard down but at the same time it's something I can't dwell on.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Night owl

Owning that I was an addict was very, very important to me at the beginning of waking up to what I was doing to myself. I still think of myself as an addict working on recovery but I am finding more and more that I don't want others to label me that way. I feel like I sort of got myself trapped in this label now and it is affecting my ability to get good medical care, etc. At least it feels like now all the medical community and pharmacists in my tiny town know and label me. I don't know if that is actually factual truth, but it does feel that way.

I want to be known as a full, complex human being with many challenges in life, addiction being one of them, who deserves full, compassionate treatment for my whole being.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zapped

A lot of people say don't worry about the label...but to be honest the label does bother me. my life was kind of like "28 days" but the public idea of an alcoholic is so much worse.

Outside the program we can describe ourselves however we please. I think its great how John Goodman (or was it george clooney?) said that drinking was taking over his life so he choosed to stop. I'm going to say that when I need to explain myself.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

Someone just asked me that a few days ago..
I stalled a bit. But I think when I was drinking I was an alcoholic.
For a while there I tried to define who I was without it, but now I just am.
I like things, and do things, and make things.
That's pretty alright with me.
Don't need a label at all.

But if someone asks, "Are you an alcoholic?" I say, "I was."
Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I don't drink anymore, I never drink, so phhhhhhht.
Onward.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

There are probablly 1000 terms I can think of that would describe me. Recovering addict is one of them.

But those terms are not me, they just describe me. They are not the sum of who I am or what I am. I am an addict. I am a mother. I am a person who is afraid of bears. I am the keeper of a very spoiled rabbit. I am a college drop out. I am the black sheep of the family.

I don't spend my time dwelling too much on any of those. I AM busy living all those things and adding more things to my list. BUT, it is a tendency of addicts to obsess, and often to obsess about things that bother us. I AM learning new ways of relating to life so I don't have to obsess so darned much.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

At first, I thought about it a lot. I worried about it. I knew I had a problem because I drank religiously on the weekend, I was always hung over on Saturday and Monday AM, I would binge into a blackout, have mystery bruises, etc.

I had a problem with the term.... And then, I realized (and am still realizing) the problem is with me and not the term. I have created a stereotype in my head of what an alcoholic or addict looks and acts like that isn't necessarily based on fact. I'm still working on this and I can't wait until I have overcome this too.

ETA: in short, yes, I thought about it. Now, and I just had 90 days, I don't think about the word, I have accepted that I am what I am and I am focused on getting better.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I may not be much but I'm all I think about .....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The label questions lingers on this board. It should. Took me a long time to accept I am an alcoholic. Notice I said accept. I knew I was for a long time. Not until I accepted it did I make real change happen.

I think any label is how you wear it. I own this and as such people respect me for what I am doing over me sheepishly mentioning it or making a big deal of things. It's a big deal don't get me wrong. But it's my big deal. Not theirs so I tend to keep my mouth shut and adjust my life to not put me in harms way.

Harms way is me drinking at any time. I cannot predict the result I will get. Anything from a happy buzz to arrest. So..... Don't think about the rest of your life. Solve today's issues today. Leave the future to develop on its own as you remain sober. Wear your label in ownership but don't advertise the unnecessary details.

That's my advice. Hope it helps.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
At first, I thought about it a lot. I worried about it. I knew I had a problem because I drank religiously on the weekend, I was always hung over on Saturday and Monday AM, I would binge into a blackout, have mystery bruises, etc.

I had a problem with the term.... And then, I realized (and am still realizing) the problem is with me and not the term. I have created a stereotype in my head of what an alcoholic or addict looks and acts like that isn't necessarily based on fact. I'm still working on this and I can't wait until I have overcome this too.

ETA: in short, yes, I thought about it. Now, and I just had 90 days, I don't think about the word, I have accepted that I am what I am and I am focused on getting better.
So true. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the fact I'm an alcoholic. I don't need to have a stereotype of an alcoholic as a bum, homeless, etc... because I am one.

In fact I just told the first person ever that I drink heavily and am quitting, implying I had a problem. I was at the pharmacy here and the pharmacist asked why I was looking for certain supplements. I didn't feel ashamed in the slightest. I'm not a bad person, I didn't do anything wrong I just drink too damn much and am dependent on alcohol
Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I don't give it much thought, but if pressed for an answer, I refer to myself as a non-drinker.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All is Change

Hosier, do you think you are an alcoholic?
Is it ok to ask?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's a great question. I don't know. Obviously, owning up to anything that big can be difficult, but I think a part of me is still wondering how I'd know, definitively. There's no "test" that says: Yes, absolutely you are. I'd think there has to be some ownership and realization that happens when one day you just say, "yep - that's me." And I'm probably 85% there, mentally. When I drink, I can have 1-2 and stop. But sometimes I can't and I get completely blasted and black out. And I never know which kind of a night it's going to be unless I purposely and consciously tell myself to watch it (and then I do). I don't drink everyday (but I drink most days - 1-2 glasses of wine). I'm just sick of feeling ashamed and embarrassed on those opportunities when I overdo it. And I'm sick of not feeling healthy.

(was that a long and convoluted enough answer?!? )
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
All is Change

LOL, alls good. Ok so, it's a bit of a problem.
Anyway, remember it is progressive.
In the end only you can say. If it is so, admitting it, to yourself, and another, I think, is step one (to freedom)
Cheers.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't think about it at all, unless I'm here trying to share some of my past experience and recovery stuff.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Its funny, but I used to call myself a "functional alcoholic" all the time. Now that I'm done drinking, I don't consider myself one. To me, alcoholism is defined by a struggle. I'm done struggling. Alcohol always wins, so I don't play with it anymore.

So, I suppose I'm another non drinker.