Notices

Day 1 for me

Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me

So I guess that today was day 1 for me, though I'm nervous to be posting here. I don't know if my issues with alcohol have affected my life to some of the degrees I've heard while reading this site, but I do know that I would like to get to know the me that exists without alcohol. I've tried to quit before--for a few weeks or a few months, really to no avail. I always get about a week or two in, convince myself that I don't have a problem, and try to re-incorporate moderate drinking into my life. As I'm sure you all know, this rarely works, and I eventually head back to my old habits, having probably 3-6 beers most nights.

Then there's the binge drinking--I'm a young guy, and I like to go out. But it's getting to be that time in my life where my friends don't get quite as crazy as we all did in college, but for some reason I still haven't hit that point yet. If I'm going to go to a bar to drink with my buddies, I might end up having 6 drinks while my friends have 1 or 2. This hasn't really gotten me into trouble except for the reputation that I like to party... but that's not a reputation I want. And God forbid that worse things would end up happening, like the alcohol affecting my marriage or job. I don't like labels, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to call myself an alcoholic. I'm happy to admit though that I am a problem drinker, and I feel like I've reached a point where I need some backup in trying to quit and be sober. Today is only day 1, and a day that started hungover from St. Patrick's Day celebration, but I want to make this thing work. I'm tired of feeling crappy, I'm tired of gaining weight, and I'm tired of thinking about when the next time I can have a drink.

But I am a little worried too. I mean drinking has been a hobby for me for the past 6 years or so (it sounds stupid to say so)--my friends and I would get together in college to drink craft beers, I've brewed beer with my friends, I like to explore new bars around town, etc. When my friends and I get together, we typically will have at least one drink, and oftentimes more. I'm nervous about separating drinking from my social life in particular, because sadly I can't imagine me socializing without it. How do I do this?

It's frightening to me that I need this help, but I've tried too many times on my own to quit or cut back. This time I need some help. Feels good to be honest with myself.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think it's great you're figuring this out at a young age. Get it under control before your friends are married with kids and you're the old drunk guy hitting on the young girls and missing the good old days! It isn't easy, but it's really worth it to halt the addiction before it gets more out of control. It progresses, and it's not pretty. I agree, it's really hard to moderate. It doesn't work for the majority of the people here, and we're experienced

Spend some time reading here on SR. There are a lot of different methods that you can choose, there are suggestions for books to read, and all kinds of advice on how to deal with friends that are drinking,etc. Welcome aboard!

I bet the day after St. Patrick's Day is a very popular date to join SR
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha I'm sure me joining today is a total cliche. Thanks for the encouragement, I want this to be for real.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish I'd stopped drinking when I was younger. I wasted a lot of my youth.

As for socializing without drinking, it's easy. You just don't drink and you won't be hungover in the morning and will remember the night before. If your friends want to know why you're not drinking tell them you're on a health kick. I know that since I've been sober I've never felt better.