Notices

New to SR

Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SR

Hi all, I'm new here and have read some amazing stories. I don't know how I never found you before but very happy I have now. I was what you would class as a non drinker all my life until about 12 yrs ago. I'm 48 now and look 60. I'm not sure when I realized I couldn't stop despite trying countless times. Today is day two and I've been here manytimes before but not for over 3 yrs. This is the first time in 3 yrs i havent had a drink for over 24 hrs. I have managed to hide it from my friends and family but yesterday was the turning point. I dont know for sure what's different but I know I'm killing myself. I've deticated my life/career to helping others. I've always been too afraid to let anyone know I'm an Alcoholic and never asked for help. I'm still uncertain of how I'm going to do it. I just want to thank you all for sharing your time and stories of recovery, it truly helps.

K
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Genxman,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but you can get through this and find healthy ways to deal with your life. Have you talked to your dr about detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous?

I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi genxman and welcome to SR. There is a lot of experience, strength and hope here. Glad you found us!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by genxman View Post
I'm still uncertain of how I'm going to do it.
Some folks can quit and stay sober on their own. I spent a week in detox and then attended AA meetings daily. Have you thought about SMART (I think they have meetings in Vancouver) or AA?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank-you Anna, omg no I have not admitted it to my Doctor(althought I think he suspects it). I feel ok today, I don't know if I'll have withdrawl issues or not. thanks again.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post

Some folks can quit and stay sober on their own. I spent a week in detox and then attended AA meetings daily. Have you thought about SMART (I think they have meetings in Vancouver) or AA?
I've not heard or smart?

And thank you!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by genxman View Post
I've not heard or smart?

And thank you!
I'm not sure that I am allowed to post the link, but search for "SMART alcohol recovery" and there are several Vancouver meetings.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's great to hear that you have arrived at a place sufficiently awful to reach out for help, and accept it. Stay strong, yet humble. And read as much as possible about the experiences of others on the site.

I too have had to accept some key things very recently. One of them being that I am much much much more depressed than I thought I was. And that I am a far far far angrier person as well.

Tonight I was walking my dog along a beach here in Spain. The sun had set, the sky a beautiful shade of orange. The sea lapping in my ears. And all I could think of was how miserable I am!!! And yet here, now, in my flat with a strong sweet coffee, I am beginning to let it all go and become calm again.