Notices

Day #8 Feeling lost?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day #8 Feeling lost?

Sorry about asking these stupid questions but I am feeling a little lost today. This is the longest I have been sober in 6 years but I feel torn. It almost seems like I lost myself, like something is missing. I want to feel proud and happy for myself for doing this but I feel sad. Is this normal? I never have been this obsessed about who I am and where I am going while I was drinking.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You will get past that feeling and find yourself but it may take time. But without alcohol you will find a self that you can look in the mirror everyday - I have.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I was emotionally all over the place for the first few weeks .
I just kept on battling through and it calmed down after a bit . With time a lot of other things have fallen into place , it's a different pace for each of us, there are no hard and fast rules .
It takes time to re-adjust to living a sober life it's bound to feel unusual to start with , just stick with it , it's the best decision i've ever made

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First, they aren't stupid questions. Totally valid and I felt the same way. Living without alcohol after living with it for so long seems unnatural at first. Getting drunk is unnatural and the more sober days I had the more I came to see that. Everything takes time. I remember in my first month sober I used to think back to when I was a child, before I had felt the effects of alcohol. I lived without it then and never missed it. It's a weird thought but it helped me a bit. Like, I DID live without it at one point and could learn to do so again. It's not always easy but I am finding the rewards even early in are worth sticking it out. Hang in there, you are doing awesome. 8 more days and you'll have 16
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oroszlan View Post
Sorry about asking these stupid questions but I am feeling a little lost today. This is the longest I have been sober in 6 years but I feel torn. It almost seems like I lost myself, like something is missing. I want to feel proud and happy for myself for doing this but I feel sad. Is this normal? I never have been this obsessed about who I am and where I am going while I was drinking.
The obsession about who you are and where you are headed is something that was obscured by drinking. Drinking not only numbs your feelings, it takes away your true identity. You are just now rediscovering yourself; you are not lost, you are just now finding your way! Congratulations on 8 days! It isn’t easy changing established behaviors and reactions, but it is so worth it!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I never have been this obsessed about who I am and where I am going while I was drinking.
That's because all you were obsessed with was the next drink.

Try obsessing about the next cookie. Think I'll have an oatmeal raisin.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You aren't lost....you are in the right place for someone who is 8 days sober. I was an emotional trainwreck....I still have my moments at a little over 3 months but not as big swings. I think you are brave for taking this on...congratulations!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are certainly in a very normal place. My first couple of weeks sober I found myself obsessing over drinking. I felt I had turned away from my best friend. It was cheap, always there and always did what I wanted. Things got better over time and I now see alcohol as my worst enemy. I hate what it robbed from my life while I was drinking and although the temptation to drink still comes up, it is much easier to defeat.

Keep it up and lean on others for your support, accountability and advice.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

The good news is u have feelings & the bad news is u have feelings! I've felt this way 2 actually last wk but as alkis every time we felt this way, we poured a drink over it. We drank to change the way we feel & for no other reason. The sign in most AA rooms Think Think Think is upside down coz of our distorted thinking b4 we got in those rooms but even after sobriety we once in a while have those "sick" thots as u r feeling right now. Best advice is talk w/ sponsor or go to a mtg
Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies. It really helps to know that what I am feeling is normal and that I am not alone. I am glad to hear that it gets better. I am just going to keep on pushing one day at a time.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I felt the exact same way, and it seems like the feeling will never go away, but it does, really and truly. It just takes time. Hang in there.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's natural to mourn the passing of an old life - even when that life ended up not so great.

You'll find something even better - and a new more authentic you too - give it a little time

D
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Omg it's so normal !!!!!! Rest easy I felt exact same because I never new who I was when u took the drink away so just drank forever I'm one month today trust me it gets better and amazing learning about yourself finding stuff that u like I used to sit and drink and took up my whole life since the drink is gone I got bored isolated in the first week them slowly got sick of being bored and did yoga rode my bike I go to AA meetings met amazing people and got the monkey off my back but I assure u the circus is still in town so I come on here and do meetings and yoga to get some balance u r amazing 8 days is mammoth for us keep going don't stop before the miracle happens ! U r doing well x