Notices

Newcomers There is Hope!!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomers There is Hope!!

It's all a matter of perception! There is always Hope!

When I was drinking I didn't see much about life that was positive.

Since being sober and finding God again, I can look at things in a better light.

I woke up so happy this morning, then went to church!

I was on cloud nine!

Then I took my folks out for their 56th wedding anniversary. My Dad wasn't happy with the beer or the restaurant and I could be dissappointed that it didn't turn out like I hoped or I can look at it as my parents are still alive and well and there will be other dinners. And I didn't have the desire to drink.

Today I can whine because I have to go to work, OR...
I can shout for joy because I have a job to go to.

Today I can be depressed that I am overweight or I can be happy I am not starving.

Today I can complain because the weekend is rainy, OR...
I can be thankful that I have the time to read and don't have to do yard work.

Today I can be sad that I lost everything like my house, boat and truck to my addictions, or I can be grateful I don't have a house payment, a car payment and a boat payment.I don't have to worry about maintenance and repairs.

Today I can be sad that I wasn't able to give my son the very best when he was growing up or I can be proud of the fact that he learned early on to be responsible early on and is a double major in his senior year and has worked for his own stuff.

Today I can be sad cuz I still live with my folks after losing everything or I can be grateful that I see them everyday of thier lives when my siblings live in other states.

Today I can be sad that I lost my license for 7 years from DUI's, or I can be grateful that it allowed me more time to spend with my hubby getting rides.

Today I can look back at my jail stays as embarrassing and shameful or I can look at them as experience in dealing with newcomers who have been in jail and are new into the program.
It allows me to have compassion and empathy instead of being judgemental. I will be able to speak at the same jail I was in in less than a year.

I can look at my psych ward stays my bi polar as a complete burden or as an opportunity to connect with people who are dually diagnosed. I will be able to speak at the same psych ward I was in on my 1 year.

I can look back on my 5 visits to detox not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to share my experience, and hope and connect with them on a deeper level because I know their desperation and hopelessness..

I can take my suicide attempt and reach out to the hopeless and tell them that only 1 yr ago I tried to kill myself and today I am so happy . I have found a solution to my addictions. I have a life, a good life! I want to live!

Today I have a choice over how I will view the circumstances of my life.

Every circumstance in my life has a positive side if I look hard enough for it.

Even my alcoholism/addiction. Without it I would never have realized my need for God. I would never have found the peace and joy I have now found and a new and better way to live and deal with life on life's terms.

I can look back on my past as a nightmare or as the story that just may give someone hope to want to continue living. To believe if I got clean and sober, they can too!

And you can!!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 03-17-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Wow is right. I think I got a contact high just reading that.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Wow is right. I think I got a contact high just reading that.
I forgot to mention before the suicide attempt just a yr ago I was in a nursing home paralyzed for 2 months following a withdrawal seizure in which I became delusional and fell into a deep depression, was in a diaper and on a feeding tube.

But today I can be happy and grateful everyday that I can walk and scratch an itch. Anyday I think I want to complain about anything I think back to where I have been and the day tends to turn out pretty darn good!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

love it! Thanks for the different perspective on things. Well written.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you. FABULOUS!!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very inspirational! Thank you for sharing your message of hope!