Notices

I would if I could

Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I would if I could

There's no alcohol in the house so I can't. I'm confident that I'm not going to leave the house, the kids are in bed, I'm sober and will stay that way so there's no reason for me to go and buy a bottle. But today I have wanted a drink.

BUT I do feel good that I haven't had a drink in a week, and I understand that I have a long way to go. Thanks all for being here, this has been the best place ever to read, post and read again.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good for you! It's ok to want.... I do every day. Many times. But you did not! Keep going strong.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misspond View Post
There's no alcohol in the house so I can't. I'm confident that I'm not going to leave the house, the kids are in bed, I'm sober and will stay that way so there's no reason for me to go and buy a bottle. But today I have wanted a drink.

BUT I do feel good that I haven't had a drink in a week, and I understand that I have a long way to go. Thanks all for being here, this has been the best place ever to read, post and read again.
You can do it Pond, Just don't drink for this day! No matter what just don't pick up today. Make a gratitude list. Think of how you didn't wake up today with that guilt and remorse and pain.

Think of how you are available if your kids wake up and they need you. Read a story to your kids later. Enjoy the peace and quiet, listen to some uplifting music. I like Christian music. Put some new pictures on your fridge. Rearrange the furniture. Think of some new memories you want to make with your children.

You have to act your way into right thinking.Have fun!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misspond View Post
Congratulations on 1 week (7 days, or 168 hours, or 10080 minutes, or 604800
seconds! Big numbers eh?

That is just that pesky Alcoholic Voice talking to you. It is trying to convince you that you want a drink. It might even try to rationalize or even justify having a drink. It could say, wow, 7 days, you have done so well! Go celebrate by having a drink! Or it could be saying, wow, what a week, have a drink and you can truly relax. But you know what, IT IS A LIAR! That voice will always try to trick you, it offers you nothing that is positive, so dig deep and tell it to "Shut the hell up!"

[=quote]BUT I do feel good that I haven't had a drink in a week, and I understand that I have a long way to go. Thanks all for being here, this has been the best place ever to read, post and read again.[/QUOTE]

And you should feel good, and science backs that up! We all have a long way to go, but it might help if you just take it day by day. Today is really what we need to focus on, tomorrow isn't here yet so why worry about it?

And you are so right! There is no question that SR has empowered me to take this on full force. There are so many great people here, so many resources - you can't go wrong!!

Keep up the great work, you are doing fantastic!!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi misspond. It took me a couple of months to stop thinking about it. One day I realized it hadn't crossed my mind at all. I can't believe I once lived for it. You will get there.

Congratulations on one week alcohol free - and for not caving today.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you.

It really helped me to not have alcohol in the house - just made life simpler.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all, to be honest it seemed counter-productive to buy any when I've given up