Notices

Started Crying and Now Super Sensitive

Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started Crying and Now Super Sensitive

I'm being forced into giving my Spouse and son a break from me. I'm not fighting him to see or talk to my son and I agree that he needs to protect themselves from me while I'm early in recovery. At first I was angry and scared that I would never be allowed to go back home. The clearer my thoughts get, I'm beginning to feel like I don't want to go back.
That house was like a vacuum that sucks the life out of you and it gets worse when he comes home.
Now at my parents: My mom came home from grocery shooping while I was at the stove making sauce for sPaghetti tonight. She just started ranting about the recyclables and this and that out of place in the living room (my sister and her 3 yr old are visiting). I immediately cleaned up and left the kitchen, went upstairs to the bathroom and started sobbing like It was the end of the world.
I got myself together and went to find my Kindle to go to the library or coffee shop to get out of the house.
When I was set to leave my mom apologized to me for yelling about nothing and we hugged. I told her thank you.

This incident worked out nicely right? Well why do I feel like I'm still on the verge of tears two hours later? My eyes are welling up right now.
What can I do to move past this and have a good day?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very normal to feel like that in early sobriety.I cried a lot. can you see your doc maybe too.It sounds as if you have a lot of difficult issues at the moment.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't know how far you are into recovery but I have been on an emotional rollercoaster since I quit about 25 days ago. Angry, depressed, crying...you name it. Hope it gets better for you.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a believer in crying when you need to cry. You have a lot going on. A good, long cry can relieve some of the stress and calm you. My vote is don't fight it. It's one of the good things we were meant to do sometimes.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found myself having to apologise a lot, saying I'm fine really while crying my eyes out. It was frustrating. I think I covered a lot of emotions up drinking and they all just came flooding out sober. It does pass though. No need to rush this phase x
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I first went into recovery I had been a daily drinker. The first few months were an emotional roller coaster as I no longer had alcohol to flatten them. Emotions that I had forgotten that I had, suddenly surfaced and I had no way to describe how I felt. I say 'went' in to recovery as opposed to 'came' because I returned back to my old ways many times, punctuated with periods of sobriety. Coming back today I understand that I don't just have a drinking problem, but I have a thinking problem.

If I can learn to fix the thinking part hopefully I will not desire alcohol to numb me.

With regards to what you can do in the present moment. Perhaps just accept that you are tearful and in a highly emotional space right now. But that it will pass. Don't be hard on yourself, because it's perfectly natural to feel that way. Non alcoholic people have tearful days as well. The difference is they they don't immediately think of a drink to remove the feelings, but accept them as part of the human condition.

I hope you begin to feel better later.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I was on the WFS site and one of the sisters posted this link. It made me laugh so hard I wasn't making any noise! This and your kind words are so helpful, it's time to make spaghetti!

Why Former Drunks Make Unstoppable Runners | The Fix
Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post, I'm only a few days in and very emotional. Watching breaking dawn part two with my daughter and cried uncontrollably when the nice vampire died :-(
Also getting flashes of temper which I don't like.
Xxx
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BLOODY NIPPLES?!?