Notices

What i've noticed about myself - 3 yrs out

Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What i've noticed about myself - 3 yrs out

I quit 3yrs, 2 mos and 15 days ago, at age 32. The benefits to my health, spirit and quality of life have been immeasurable and my sobriety has been my greatest life achievement...so far. When i decided to pull the plug, my wife had just given birth to twins, and we had a 20 month old. I saw the responsibility that lay ahead for me, and in a moment of clarity i realized that there was only one thing for me to do if i was going to provide the life for my children that I wanted them to have. Since then, i have had tremendous success in my career. I ran some numbers this morning, and in the last 3 yrs my gross earnings have been 3x the total in the 10 yrs before, when i was not sober. This, despite an awful economy. Of course, this is not the most important thing. The most important thing is that i have been there for my kids (we have a 4th on the way now!), and have devoted energy that i wouldnt have had otherwise to them. But i think the success i have had in my career over the last 3 yrs, the drive and the passion i now have for my work, is a telling statement. That we (who are blessed) with obsessive personalities, can have tremendous life success if we devote our powers to "good, instead of evil" (wink). Whether its your work, a cause you care about, or a hobby, or a sport, or anything else you want to accomplish. Just wanted to share.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rainking View Post
That we (who are blessed) with obsessive personalities, can have tremendous life success if we devote our powers to "good, instead of evil" (wink). Whether its your work, a cause you care about, or a hobby, or a sport, or anything else you want to accomplish. Just wanted to share.
That's so cool, thank you for sharing your success and insight x
Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on turning your life around and your 3 years+ sober.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post. There is so much energy that I've wasted on alcohol and I think about my potential for using that energy in other areas of my life, e.g. relationships, career, healthy hobbies.

What has been your plan for quitting? Did you do it through AA? On your own? AVRT? Some other program?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

awesome, thanks it helps to read this
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mainza - I did it mostly on my own. A lot of looking inside myself, figuring out how i got there, and how i was going to change it. Did a little bit of AA in the beginning as well, but it really wasnt my thing. It was hard work though, especially for the first 6 mos. After that, got a lot easier. If I had known how easy it was after 6 mos, would have done it years earlier.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome rainking - and congratulations

D
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very inspirational. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for sharing the wonderful news. I wish I'd had the sense to give it up in my 30's - life would've been so different. Glad you did it, and are enjoying life with eyes wide open. Why did we ever think we needed that stuff.

Good job, Rainking. I'm sure others will be inspired by your post.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post RainKing. It was very inspirational, and it motivates me to get where you are now.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome job rainking! I am only on day 8 right now but potsts like urs are what is keeping me going this early on. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post! Congrats on 3+ years.