Notices

Now entering day 6!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now entering day 6!

There is no question, NONE, that this board got me this far. Thank you so much!!

I'm a bit of a programmer and wrote a little tracking program thingy so here are some stats:

My quit date: 3/12/13 12:01 AM
I have been alcohol free for 5 days 1 hours 59 minutes.
I have saved $61.62 by not drinking!
I did not drink 39 cans of beer!

Ok enough geekyness

So how is it going? Well let me tell you this, no one is more surprised by the results then me.

In my very first message I posted, I mentioned that I had held out for 3 days, but I was having a MAJOR problem with sleep. That has not been an issue this time 'round and I have no idea why!!

My overall stability is "fair." I have had very very mild headaches, a bit of confusion/air headedness (but that could just my normal me), and am fairly successful at not "exploding" but trying to count to 10 etc.

Some observations;

My drinking pattern was usually in the evenings, I'd watch TV or head to the bar for a bit. I felt that I was bored and that was why I drank, so I concluded ok, I can be bored and NOT drink, hmm seems to be working so far.

No bar, but I would like to see my bartender, but not ready to try that yet and of course a ginger ale would be in the glass.

No real pressure either, this one has me a bit worried. Over the last 5 days, I have been able to avoid situations where alcohol would be involved. This one I need to learn some coping skills on.

Good support! This board is without doubt my sanctuary!! My co-worker doesn't drink, makes that easy. And a friend of mine where I live also doesn't drink so I still have a bit of a social life (i've typically been a home body anyhow.)

No substantial change in diet. Although I do feel hungry more often but nothing too crazy.

Steady intake of water - I can't help but think this helps out in many ways.

Smoking, that has increased, prob from a pack a day to about 1.5 packs per day. Not too worried about that though, quitting smoking will be my next quest and from what I've read this seems to be common. But, should normalize within a month or so.

Acceptance. For me this is the key. I know that I am an alcoholic, I fully believe and more or less understand it. There is no "just a beer" for me. Has to be none - for today, I can live with that.

By no means am I a religious man but I really think that some "force" went "zap!, Ok Jim, you wanna give this a chance? Alright, I'll give you some breaks but don't you let me down!"

Perhaps, because I truly believe that this is my time, perhaps the mind is strong and can do things in the background if we truly (at least believe) we want to change. I don't know the answer to this one, but I am grateful that with all the resources and persistence from me, I have a fighting chance and have made it this far.

I also accept that I have issues that will need to be dealt with. Oddly I don't know what they are, but I suspect I drank to bury something so I guess I'll have to haul out the shovel - but not yet, one thing at a time

Thanks again SR!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 6! --------> Yes, this site for me is the best thing I could have ever found. Don't worry about the sleep.... if you look at my posts you will see I sleep during the day and awake at night. Last night I did sleep for about 5 hours with all the sleep during the day. You will be fine hang in there!

Have a sober rocking day!
clight
Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One big thing that I too faced was giving myself permission to be bored! Everyone gets bored occasionally, but everyone drinks three bottles of wine as entertainment!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely, everyone gets bored but not everyone chooses to drink to relieve the boredom.

Well done DryRoastJim, feels great doesn't it?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sounds like you got most of the bases coverd there Jim, day 6

I tend not to go to bars anymore unless i'm meeting people there, being there without any particular reason other than catching up with the bar keep, would for me make me feel uncomfortable .

I assume you've read about H.A.L.T (hungry, angry , lonely, tired ) i think i used alcohol to cover over those at various times and had to conciously check as i'd got out of the habbit of doing so with alcohol being my panacea .

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done Jim i'm on day 6 too! Trying to keep as occupied as I can.

Stay strong
Beagle
Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome for you, Jim! It keeps getting better and the boredom was the toughest part for me. But, hey, maybe you could keep going on that tracking program and make it something available for all of us geeky (and non-geeky) drinkers? I liked the idea immediately!

Also seconding mecanix here on H.A.L.T. One of the most valuable things I learned as far as "checking in" when I want to drink. It is usually one of the above four behaviors that is the underlying cause.

Anyway, congrats again! See ya here on Day 7!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 9 here. Love the geeky stats. Terrific insight. Thank you
Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Sounds like you got most of the bases coverd there Jim, day 6

I tend not to go to bars anymore unless i'm meeting people there, being there without any particular reason other than catching up with the bar keep, would for me make me feel uncomfortable .

I assume you've read about H.A.L.T (hungry, angry , lonely, tired ) i think i used alcohol to cover over those at various times and had to conciously check as i'd got out of the habbit of doing so with alcohol being my panacea .

Bestwishes, M
Thank you for your kind words!! This bar thankfully is DEAD during the late afternoon, so there should be little pressure to drink and I know the bartender fairly well and will tell her that I have quit, but I would not want to just toss the friendship. But I agree, it will feel uncomfortable, this is why I want to give myself plenty of time before going there.

No I havn't! HALT! This sounds like something I must look into, I will do the google and find out more - thank you for the tip!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Well done Jim i'm on day 6 too! Trying to keep as occupied as I can.

Stay strong
Beagle
YES! Ok that is cool!! You and me can be same day buds!!

Keep up the great work, you can do it!! Be kind to yourself and keep on learning from SR, this is such a wonderful place!!

Take care!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Such an acomplishment! I think about the money aspect too! By not drinking, my husband and me have not spent around $500. It's amazing!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Awesome for you, Jim! It keeps getting better and the boredom was the toughest part for me. But, hey, maybe you could keep going on that tracking program and make it something available for all of us geeky (and non-geeky) drinkers? I liked the idea immediately!

Also seconding mecanix here on H.A.L.T. One of the most valuable things I learned as far as "checking in" when I want to drink. It is usually one of the above four behaviors that is the underlying cause.

Anyway, congrats again! See ya here on Day 7!
Thank you so much!! Funny you mention that <grin>. I've been thinking about making a web version of it, so that people could "check in" and enter various bits of info about their day. Perhaps even expand it to include things like, how did you feel today re: anxiety, stress, cravings etc. I love databases and information - it would be interesting to track data to see how we all differ on various aspects of sobriety. Create trend lines, Hmmm maybe write a stock ticket type widget or something haha. One thing I do know, with my ever clearing head, programming will become my friend again, I have missed it!

I will definitely look into HALT, and from you have said, I think Anger could be an issue for me. of the 4 letters that one rings strongest.

Yes you will! I look forward to day 7
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noanxtime View Post
Such an acomplishment! I think about the money aspect too! By not drinking, my husband and me have not spent around $500. It's amazing!
Thank you so much and congratulations to you and your husband as well! We have all worked very hard to get here!!

Isn't it amazing how much money goes out to booze without a thought, but god forbid if we need buy new tires!

I love stats and when they stare you in the face, they are very hard to argue with.

Thanks again for your kind words!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SO proud of you Jim. Knew you could. (I like the stats too - wish I'd kept some.)