Notices

Real Answers

Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Real Answers

Hi! I am new here of course. I have not had any addiction issues. I am not a doctor or therapist so my comments are just my own opinion. Alcohol was my favorite thing to drink. I started drinking with my friends, then went on to drink when playing games, watching tv, you name it. It just seemed that it made it all better. I was drinking just to have fun but it never stopped me from doing whatever I wanted to do. Woke up fine, went to work, hung out with friends, no problems. Then boom! I took a trip and had to drive over a large bridge that scared me so bad. I then began to question whether I could drive anymore. Rapidly, it progressed to being scared of almost anything. I couldn't stand being up where I thought I was too high, driving, even walking outside when the sun was out. Crazy, weird thoughts. That caused me to drink more and more. I finally went to the doctor and had a wake up call. The alcohol was what kept this anxiety going. After stopping, all good things finally returned to me. Don't get me wrong, the first couple of days were bad. I wake up happier, feel refreshed, and ready to tackle the day. God gave you fear. Now, when I feel fear, I thank God because I feel alive and I always overcome it now. When you feel the fear, don't try to stop it, just think of it like a passing stomach ache. Soon, it won't be that big of a deal. Remember, everyone is different so see a doctor when you decide to stop drinking or anything else. God Bless you all!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome wolfman - glad to hear you're doing better now.
thanks for sharing your story

D
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah, alcohol really screws with your head if you let it, and the nature of the drug is that it will creep up on some people until they let it take over their emotions and lives.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wolfman Anxiety was a major reason why I had to stop drinking. It got really scary. Your post describes it really well. Glad you overcame it x
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just to add to this. After stopping drinking, I felt great, had more energy, enjoyed things that used to scare me. I even bought a new sports car and was doing my best to avoid getting a speeding ticket... As my confidence grew, I decided that I could drink no problem. BIG mistake. The anxiety returned, although not in full force, but enough to make me stay home certain times. A couple of days later after stopping again, I felt normal again. It doesn't seem to me that only a few hours of no inhibition is worth two days of me feeling bad. I know that some drink because of an anxiety problem but in my case it is the opposite. The alcohol induces my anxiety greatly. So the real answer is, alcohol will cause horrible anxiety at least for me anyway. If you drink and find yourself googling things about anxiety and how to get rid of it, stop drinking. Depending upon the person, you could feel better in week or it may take a little longer. Drinking makes this a ton worse.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I am new here today as well.

Regarding anxiety I know exactly what you mean. Being a binge drinker I have had the most awful attacks when first trying to sober up. People out to kill me, being watched, possessed by the devil. Even convinced that the amalgam fillings in my teeth were making me insane! Gradually I would calm down and the sense of relief would be ecstatic.

Take care.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I found the same to be true for me..... I became an anxious and depressed person while drinking, not realizing it was the alcohol (not me or my life) that was creating the problem.

Congratulations on your sobriety and welcome to SR!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have since fell into the web of drinking again. I remember the decision I made very well. I was sitting in the Walmart parking lot thinking... Why can't I drink just everyone else? They don't have any problems. They have a life, family, kids, good times. It doesn't bother them. It's crazy how you can justify just about anything. So, after 3 months of not having a drop, I bought a new tv from Wallyworld and a twelve pack of beer. The next day, I woke up fine with no issues. I thought 'Wow, I can do this again!'. I went for a week after that with no drinking. I felt great the following weekend and decided it was time for another 'drunk night'. Heck, I deserved it for being sober all this time. Then, very rapidly, it became an every night thing. Complete with anxiety, shaking, dizziness, pretty much afraid to walk. I started calling in to work again saying I had a 'family issue'. I feel so ashamed because for once I felt great and was becoming the old me... Now I have screwed it up. It's time to eliminate this from my life. It's time to become ME!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Wolfman. But thanks for coming back and sharing that with us. Have you any plans as to what you will do differently this time? x