Notices

Isn't it funny how on Cinco De Mayo...

Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Isn't it funny how on Cinco De Mayo...

On Cinco De Mayo nobody claims to be Mexican... they just use it as an excuse to get plastered on tequila and Carona...

But on St. Patty's Day EVERYONE justifies getting plastered because of their Irish roots... =)

I read that today and thought it was funny. It also hit home. I've always found a reason to get plastered, though. From drinking holidays to Wednesday night bucket o' beer specials.

I'm finding a lot of pleasure and happiness in knowing I will be making my own excuses this year... excuses to stay sober and live.

Happy St. Patrick's day to all my Irish and wannabe Irish friends around the globe.

And, if you want your own holiday and reason to stay sober tomorrow... do it in honor of a special event in 1950 – Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley announce the creation of element 98, which they name "Californium".

Who wants to drink to celebrate that??? =)
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Who needs St Paddys day. I'm assuming Cinco De Mayo is the Mexican version. You gotta love it when we use holidays to justify excessive drinking and drug use. They just make it ever so slightly more acceptable lol.

Natom.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suspect because more people in the US have Irish ancestry than Mexican. Also, St Paddy's has been a pretty big celebration throughout the entire US for a long time, while Cinco De Mayo is only recently starting to catch on as an excuse to get wasted in many parts of the country.

Personally, I was raised catholic but I despise catholicism, so I've long avoided celebrating St Patrick's day, even though I have some Irish in me. It's not like I ever needed an excuse to drink before, and now that I'm not drinking I have absolutely no use for a catholic holiday where people drink like idiots.