Notices

early recovery

Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

early recovery

My drinking has been consistent over the past 50 years. The result has been health problems, emotional issues in relationships etc. As newly retired, it is very important for me to stop drinking. I have too much time on my hands.
This is the first day that I'm determined to not have a drink. Appreciate any thoughts, suggestions.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Take everything slowly. Put the same amount of effort into getting sober that you did into getting drunk. Perhaps look at some recovery programs. AA, SMART recovery and AVRT are the main players. Take it one day at a time and you'll get there.

Natom.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family springzona. I'm so glad you want to change your life and have a healthy, long retirement.

I drank all my life too. Towards the end of my drinking career things began to happen that never had before. I drank at work - people were noticing. I drove drunk - swore that's one thing I'd never do. I was developing serious health issues which would shorten my life. In the end, I was drinking all day - afraid to close my eyes at night. It was no longer fun or relaxing in any way. I was completely dependent on it. That's when I found SR.

Not having to show up for work can be deadly - we have no one to answer to, and no particular time schedule to keep. It would be so easy to let drinking take over your life. I'm glad you are here looking for support.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to retirement springzona. You will learn to love it !!

Now .. about that alcohol problem. I bet there are quite a few AA Clubrooms in Phoenix/Tempe that you would fit right into.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-15-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you begin to enjoy your retirement. Have you thought of getting involved in some kind of volunteer work? Congratulations on making the decision to live a sober life.