Notices

Husband addicted to pain medicine and I'm miserable

Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband addicted to pain medicine and I'm miserable

Hi, my husband is addicted to pain killers and I am codependent. I think I have hit rock bottom and I don't want to live like this anymore. After months of soul searching I came to the decision the other day that I have to let go of my anger and resentment towards my husbands behavior because it is eating me alive. I also had to admit to my role in the chaos of our lives. I am codependent, I have allowed his addiction to suck all of the joy out of my life and turn me into someone I don't even recognize anymore. I am and have been for years completely consumed by his addictions and bad behavior, blaming everything that has gone wrong in my/our lives on him, it seems like every waking moment is spent dwelling on the problems in our lives. I am ready to take responsibility for my part in all of this and start making some changes. I do not want to live the rest of my life like the last twenty + years. I'm so tired of being miserable and just plain tired.

I am going to talk to him about getting professional help for him to get clean. I honestly do not think he is strong enough to do it on his own or even on an outpatient basis, but i guess that is up to him. I know I need council ing too but I don't know where to turn because we just can't afford it and I don't have insurance. I read the post on codependency and wish I was surprised that it described me so completely, but I wasn't surprised just sad.

What I really want to do is ignore it and hope it will get better on its own, that has been my pattern for years, i say "I'm done" but then never do anything. My anxiety level skyrockets when I think about dealing with it, I'm just so tired and dealing takes so much energy. But I know that it's never going to change if I don't DO something, take some kind of action, I used to be so decisive but now I'm lucky if I can decide what underwear to put on in the morning. I would love a plan of action to follow to get me started so I don't feel like I'm just floundering or running in circles. AND what if he doesn't admit his / our problems? Then what?

Ok, that's another of my patterns, worrying about the future, I get myself discouraged projecting future problems I give up before even taking a step. Geez, I never thought I would be such a mess at this point in my life. I want that happy, laid back, positive person I used to be back.

Sorry this is so long, I could actually go on for days it's been a long time since I've let all of this out. I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You can't do anything about your husband's recovery, but you can do something for your own. Consider a Na-anon meeting.

Also, see our friends and family forum. Lots of folks going through exactly what you are going through.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

And welcome.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How did he get hook to pain meds? Anyway just get someone there friends or family and have a meeting with him. My wife told me I better stop the BS or she would leave. I stopped because I love my life. I love them as well