AH sick after drinking all day

Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH sick after drinking all day

AH has been home today - working on his 'self help' program and now he is sick, throwing up and says he doesn't know why, he says he must have a bug...does he really believe that? Or is that excuse for my benefit?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ugh, I'm sorry, unhappyspouse. It's hard to know whether he's telling the truth, to you or to himself. He may want to believe that he is sick, he may actually be sick, or he could have drank. It's hard to say. I'm just sorry that you're going through this worry and doubt.

Is he uncontrollably ill, does he need medical attention? Are you okay?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my mom got "sick" a lot - my two "favorite" excuses were that the server at the restaurant had a cold...and that there was "bad ice" in her cocktail. it HAD to be ANYTHING but the ALCOHOL.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No doubt he's been drinking! I am just curious if he realizes this? C - I don't know, I am still at work - he is at home, he's pretty tough! I knew he had been drinking so I wasn't worried about rushing home, like I normally would have to keep him from drinking more! We have some papers that have to get out tonight, so I had to stay over...and I am really glad, honestly! Now he is wondering what I am doing! I'm sure he is going to accuse me of wrong-doing. CRAZY!! I have always been the best wife I knew how to be (I still am, except I am practicing my detachment) and have put up with so much with him - really hurts!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Drunks get sick, too. I mean, apart from drinking-type sick.

You are "just curious if he realizes" WHAT? He knows he's drinking, he knows he feels sick and is throwing up. Maybe it's from the drinking, maybe not. Does it really matter that much? I mean, as long as he doesn't develop a high fever or start vomiting blood or something.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He is sick from drinking - it just baffles me that to him it has to be something else besides the alcohol - it just blows my mind
Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it HAS to be something else, because if he admitted it was the DRINKING making him sick.....he'd have to DO something about it. not attempting to diagnose someone but he sounds chronic....his body is saying, now that you have poured liquor into me for XXX number of years, I have now assimilated that foreign substance and in my now diseased state require the alcohol to survive. he can longer manage this on his own......he can however seek help.

that is up to him. I don't think rehab or treatment or AA are exactly a secret. help IS available...for those who want it.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My Mom has been "sick" for months with vertigo. It even made her fall and hit her head, causing a "traumatic brain injury".

Yes, she believes this.

No its not true. She is severely manic and drinking alcoholically. Hence the fall and vertigo.

But she believes it. Logic be damned. I quit trying to understand why long ago.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Every Monday, my friend gets what I call the "Irish flu". I used to get it too until I found the remedy for that...quitting!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ady Gil, my exabf used to get food poisoning ALL the time! And I totally believed him. I'd always rush him over some effing broth and Sprite. Jeez. Is that what happens to them when they are hung over, or is it when they detox? (Why do I even still care?)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am curious as to what makes them sick - just drinking too much in one day?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unhappyspouse View Post
In my case it was several days in a row of drinking too much. One day of drinking wasn't enough to make me sick to that degree.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
In my case it was several days in a row of drinking too much. One day of drinking wasn't enough to make me sick to that degree.
I have to agree - this is the pattern I have seen with my husband. Drink to excess for a few days, then stop for 12-18-20 hours...then sweating and horking. It can mimic a stomach bug in some ways.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My XAH had the most sensitive stomach in the whole entire world. You ask him he'll tell you

He was really, really sick every Monday, it wasn't from alcohol at all, of course not! That would be ridiculous! He even started blaming the meat I bought for his chronically funny tummy. He forbade me from buying meat from a particular store because that was obviously the cause of most of his problems.

In the end, I would buy meat from the store where the meat made him sick and re-package it so he wouldn't know where the meat came from. It never made him "sick" again. If anyone had drunk steadily from 11am on Sunday morning until 2am on Monday morning (like he used to do when he lived here) they wouldn't feel 100% ready and able to leave for work at 7am Monday.

It's all just quacking.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's one of my favorites...

Being at a family event, everybody eating the same food, and out of all the people there just my wife would get "food poisoning." She of all the people, was the one who got it. It happened too often to be actual food poisoning.

That said, I'm guessing the chances of an alcoholic getting food poisoning are higher. They aren't exactly hygienic when they are drunk. God knows what happens after they take a ****.

This disease is so gross.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by ady gil View Post
My STBXAH got "food poisoning" a lot...it was all just "bad food" - as I detached I found these "sick" times to be somewhat more serene for me than the "stupid drunk" times (my AH wasn't a mean drunk but a sloppy crazy insane acting drunk that did really stupid stuff - I have some crazy stories) and I took advantage of the "sick" more serene times to do things like make my plans to save money and end the relationship...it was hard but I'm glad I did. He's still drinking and I imagine gets "sick" every time he "quits"...but it's not my issue it's his and now I don't even have to witness it since we live separate.

Part of detaching was letting him be "sick" and going about my business. Part of step 1 was realizing that I was powerless over how he thought about said sickness - if he wanted to lie to himself about it it was none of my business.

Just my experiences - take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

An average non-alcoholic can drink a beverage or two and get sleepy and be unable to continue drinking. An alcoholic can 6, 12 or even 30 alcoholic beverages in a day. It destroys the drinkers stomach & the next day they pay for the excess. Some alcoholics stop vomiting while drinking & really have stomach problems when they detox though.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello unhappyspouse,

It has been my experience as well that an active alcoholic will blame how they feel on anything and everything else rather than the drinking. If you take a few moments and read over in the Alcoholism and Newcomers forums, you will see that once an alcoholic has that watershed moment, they will realize how much damage they have done to themselves with their drinking.

Unfortunately, we have no control over when or how that realization occurs.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The thing that gets me is the lying! How can you trust someone when your know that they have been, but have no PROOF and they make you feel like you just want to argue. I trust my gut instinct and I know he is not being abstinent, but he makes me feel like I am the crazy one! I guess I am going to have to catch him in the act.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Unhappyspouse,

That lying gets to me too. It made me absolutely crazy and still does. I don't believe for a minute my ex has quit drinking. In my week moments, I fantasize about going over to his building and trying to look through his garbage because I NEED TO KNOW IF HE IS DRINKING. Then I catch myself and think, "Really? Now you are going to dig through garbage?? How f***ing crazy are you?"

( Sorry if this post diverged from the original thread.)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The thing that gets me is the lying! How can you trust someone when your know that they have been, but have no PROOF and they make you feel like you just want to argue. I trust my gut instinct and I know he is not being abstinent, but he makes me feel like I am the crazy one! I guess I am going to have to catch him in the act.
What happens if you never get the definite proof you want? What if that proof is ten or twenty years down the road? You might not ever have it. Sometimes we have to make decisions based only on the limited information in front of us and how we feel today.

It seems to me that you are waiting for him to do something that dictates your next step. How long are you willing to wait?