Notices

It's gotten to be a little much.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's gotten to be a little much.

Hey all, first time posting here so I thought I would just introduce myself.

I've been drunk for what seems like months and I just can't keep it up anymore. My body aches, my head hurts, and my mind is blurry. I need to take my mind off of it and actualize some effective way to not relapse. I'm hoping you guys can keep me motivated and give me some tips on detoxing at home.

I also spent last night trying to sleep but having very very vivid waking dreams. I would just lay there and hear people talking but I couldn't move to look over to see if they were real. Then I would slip into a dream where I was walking around my house and I was sure I was actually awake only to find myself waking up into another dream, never actually knowing if I was awake or not. Has anyone else experienced that during withdrawals?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you should contact a doctor. Withdrawals can be a dangerous thing, and you're describing some worrying symptoms.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one here can give medical advice. You better see a doctor as alcohol withdrawal can be extremely dangerous even lethal.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would echo the others who have already replied, and my guess is the ones who will reply after me. You need to see a doctor, the sooner the better. And when you go, it's imperative to be honest about your drinking and any other drugs you had been taking. They have seen it all, so nothing you can tell them will be something they haven't seen before. If nothing else they check you over and send you on your way with peace of mind, and if any medical attention is needed you can get it.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How would I go about doing this that doesn't involve the emergency room? I've had to do that once before and it was a little overwhelming, ended up staying 3 days.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by RectalTrauma View Post
How would I go about doing this that doesn't involve the emergency room? I've had to do that once before and it was a little overwhelming, ended up staying 3 days.
Call your regular doctor if you have one and see if you can come in. If not ER might be the only option. If they had you stay 3 days it was probably for a reason. If you've gone through withdrawal before, subequent times can be even worse - i'd highly recommend you seek some form of medical attention immediately.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have a family doctor you can get to?
If not, an overwhelming ER visit may be worth saving your life my friend.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
Do you have a family doctor you can get to?
If not, an overwhelming ER visit may be worth saving your life my friend.
No family doctor. I've spent my life moving around quite a bit and I guess that's just one of those things that don't come with the lifestyle. I have been treated for a rash by a doctor on campus. Do you think they would be able to help me with this there? I don't know if they get any cases like this from students.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I would rather be overwhelmed than dead. Do please get medical help; I was in an emergency room one day to detox, and it was from a mild (if there is such a thing) drunk. 3 days means life-threatening.

I'm sorry but I do have to edit: if you are on a college campus probably half the cases they see are drug and alcohol related...
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Call the campus clinic and ask. I'd bet they deal with this a lot.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
I think I would rather be overwhelmed than dead. Do please get medical help; I was in an emergency room one day to detox, and it was from a mild (if there is such a thing) drunk. 3 days means life-threatening.
I feel like I was way-way worse off when that happened. Right now I feel like I can manage it.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone here. Withdrawal from alcohol is VERY dangerous. The symptoms you are describing , hallucinations, etc are a very serious sign of an extremely dangerous withdrawal. PLEASE get some medical supervision immediately. Wether it is the er or on campus don't wait for things to get worse. Like Pamela said it is better than being dead.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I feel like I was way-way worse off when that happened. Right now I feel like I can manage it.
Even so, if you have access to medical care on campus you should at least call them or stop into the campus clinic first. Things can change in a big hurry during withdrawal. I would imagine that they deal with a lot of alcohol and drug related issues, and could refer you to a local hospital or even the ER if necessary. Better to be safe than sorry, please take care and welcome to SR too.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A doctor might be able to prescribe something to help you sleep. It sounds like you might sleep-walk and hurt yourself.