Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just can't stop

I don't know how you all do it.

The habit is there; end ****** day, buy bottle of wine

I can't stop and I'm scared
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

one minute at a time is how we all do it. at every moment you have a choice. for a long time i struggled with making the wrong choices. i finally had enough with all the negativity alcohol was bringing into my life, so when i n finally decided to quit once and for all, I just kept reminding myself of all the trouble I'd brought to my life. 88 days later and I'm not looking back. If you want my advice, set small goals and maybe rewards - I love sushi but it's not in my budget if I'm wasting money on alcohol all the time, so that first week I said if I make it to the next sunday I'd treat myself to sushi. Then just set the goals for the sake of setting goals - 2 weeks, 30 days, etc... it starts getting easier to do the right thing because it becomes habitual, just like the drinking had.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a lot of effort lovemyself.

I really needed to find support, I needed to be prepared to make changes....and I needed to be prepared to not feel very comfortable for a little while.

what kind of support do you have?

D
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can. It's not easy, but you can.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's hard to do this alone. You can do it. Be a hero and give this a real shot, you owe it to yourself to give 100%.

Best to you in this fight!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Lovemyself, yes you can do it. No matter how frustated you are, never refuse to give up. I never gave up and I finally have 2 years 8 months sobriety, and please believe me, if I can do it, anybody can. Rootin for ya.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its freaking scary I know! The wanting 2, the needing 2. I had many episodes of this for many years.. Im still a newbie here. But all I can tell you is that you are blessed with this knowledge of a problem you might have with the drink.So get on from this and get into action. Please try to help yourself in anyway you can.Look in2 all the programs and resources out there.Best wishes 2 you.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Lovemyself2012 View Post
I can't stop
Balderdash!

Not drinking requires no effort. Drinking requires a stop at the store, opening, pouring, swallowing, etc. Not drinking is far easier.

Now - living with that voice in your head that relentlessly nags, whines, pouts, rationalizes, negotiates, threatens, insults, and demands you get a drink - now THATS a challenge!

Until you realize it's a liar. It will tell you anything to convince you to drink. None of it is true.

Taking advice from a liar is just not very smart, everyone knows that.

You can do this.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nonsensical is right about the effort. On my last night drinking I had to sneak to the shop, buy the bottle (700ml Gin), smuggle it into the house, transfer Gin into 2 other bottles and mix with tonic water so that husband wouldn't know that I had bought any. Go out again to dispose of the gin bottle. Drank the whole lot and passed out. Spent next day creeping around worrying about facing husband for his reaction (because I passed out of sofa) and was 2 hours late for work anf felt like **** all day.

Last night - first sober night - went out for a while with friends and had a coke, went home (leaving husband to have a couple more drinks), got my stuff ready for work next day and had an early night and good sleep.

I know which night I prefer. So Lovemyself, it can be done. I know I am very new to this, but I had to make the conscious decision to say - no more, I am done with this - and to really mean it. That's half the battle.

Good luck and keep posting and talking here - it is really helping me.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

lovemyself, you sound exactly like me for so many years. I wanted my drinking routine to end but felt like I could not stop. I felt stuck for years!

If there is a will there is a way! You have reached that fed up point so there is a start! You have the desire to stop! The rest lays within you! You have to reach deep down inside and just get that one day sober under your belt. Just start there. Then keep adding the days up You can do it! It all lays within you! Alcohol does not control you. Make changes in your routine. You can do ANYTHING you want in this world but just don't drink! If you want it you can do it. Your want to be sober has got to override your want to drink!

Now my life is so much EASIER! It took SOO much effort trying to stay drunk! Try it you will see a life you never knew could exist that is within YOUR grasp!

If I can do it you can too!!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello! avacado is right, 1 minute at a time! And I agree again with the "fed up" part. That is what finally did it for me, I am fed up!

Fed up with
The lost jobs.
The lost relationships.
The lost money.
The hangovers.
The lost of intelligence.
The lost of self control.
The lost of self worth.

I think you get the idea.

Everyone is different, your reasons to quit may not be clear, but that is ok for now. The key thing is that you have a desire to quit!

Go with that, and as time goes on the reasons will all become clear.

Take full advantage of this site, learn as much as you can about alcohol and all of its destructive forces.

Knowledge is power!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's feels impossible to start of with, but it gets easier, takes practise. Have you tried getting any support or looking into any recovery programs? I know I had very little luck doing this on my own. Keep trying x
Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I didn't think I could do it either, but I did. I use to have that same helpless feeling of not being able to stop and not knowing what to do. Like I could reach that happiness when I was drunk, it was just in reach, but couldn't quit get there.

Quitting is scary, it's the scariest thing I have done. But with support and some programs I was able to do it. I couldn't do it on my own and god knows I tried.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovemyself2012 View Post
I don't know how you all do it.

The habit is there; end ****** day, buy bottle of wine

I can't stop and I'm scared
I know exactly how you feel. Give it your best shot and if that doesn't work... surrender like I did. You are an alcoholic like me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am just starting on this path too. This is very tough but worth it to at least try. My mind has been messing with me every second it gets. It is crazy. I told myself on Sunday that I was not drinking again. Then I try to rationalize with that. My mind will say " you don't need to quit yet.", U haven't hit bottom or hurt anyone. U are still fairly healthy... etc.... It really sucks!