Notices

After Quitting Alcohol: Anyone experience food allergies?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After Quitting Alcohol: Anyone experience food allergies?

I just recently quit drinking alcohol, I'm 45 days sober and feel fantastic. I'm really glad that I made the decision to quit for life and finding increased joy as each day passes. One new change is that I've recently developed an allergy to raw tomatoes and it's only been since I've quit alcohol. Within minutes of eating a tomato, I break out in red, burning hives all over my face, neck, shoulders, arms and torso. I'm obviously going to cut tomatoes out of my diet now as well. I"m curious however, to see if anyone else has developed any strange food allergies since quitting alcohol and if you've heard of this before? I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is any correlation between the two?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It could be coincidence. But saying that I have developed allergies. They came before I quit though and I thought that the alcohol had made me more sensitive to things. Or it could be that I was just getting older and the more exposed you are to something the more likely you are to become allergic to it... be interesting to see if anyone else has experience with this too x
Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Since I quit, the bottom of my feet are almost always itchy, I'm breaking out in rashes and I've had headaches. If I am allergic to something, I don't know what it is. It might be certain sugars so I might try cutting out all added sugars for a while and seeing if I have any reaction to naturally occurring sugars like fructose and lactose.

Oh, I just realised that I've been eating a lot of raw tomatoes since Sunday. Soon after eating a couple of tomatoes on Sunday night I got rashes on my face and stomach. And last night the itching was worse than ever and all over my body. Hm, interesting.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm also experiencing very itchy skin. I experienced skin itching prior to quitting and thought that alcohol was the culprit. I had hoped that quitting would make the itching stop but it continues. I eat very clean and healthy, with very little sugar, so I'm baffled about why I'm having these issues.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I woke up to horrid face rash last week. (2 months alcohol free). Pharmacist believed it to be an allergy. I've not changed makeup, cleanser etc. So he thought it could be reaction to some food. I took allergy pills and it took almost 5 days to clear. My face rash looked like those abc marks you get when sit too close to a fire. My eyes were slightly swollen. Near end of week, my face peeled, and thankfully healed. I wonder if I'm now allergic to some food too. I did not eat tomato that week. Hope it does not return. Don't think it could be from detox 2 months later, right ?
Old 12-19-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit drinking almost 2 months ago and broke out in hives earlier this week. I searched the topic to see if maybe my body chemistry is changing due to no alcohol. I came upon this thread. The culprit to my reaction is still unknown, but I will be going for allergy testing. Did you ever get any answers?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tjasm

Snw hasn’t posted here since 2014, but there’s always a chance that other members have experience to share

Hope you get some feedback – welcome!

D
Old 12-20-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, this happened to me, but not with alcohol, with benzos. Same gaba receptors.

Red, itchy, hives even. Still happens now, though much less frequently, and with less intensity. PAWS benzos. Twenty one months out benzos. Hard to believe I know.

Bottom of feet too.

Histamine response. Don't understand it fully, but it sure did happen.

Just got to ride it out.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes a similar problem (itching and scratching to the point of bleeding but in a different body area)which became worse in recovery. Could be a coincidence or just that I was more aware of it. After much experimentation for me it has been much relieved by not eating milk products and tomatoes. Coconut oil applied to the area has also been very beneficial
Old 12-20-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I found Avocado oil helped Bonnefond87.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thankyou Steely - I'll try that