Notices

New Guy - Day One

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Guy - Day One

Hi, I'm Card. My last drink was yesterday at 1am, but I'm counting my sober date as 3-13-2013, so I'm truly sober today. I've tried and tried and tried, and struggled and struggled to stay sober, and I believe I've finally hit bottom. I realize I've been lying to myself, and to others, about my alcoholism. I foolishly thought I could do all this alone - and I see now that was exactly the wrong way to go about it. I need help, support, networking... I hope to find some of that here.

A year ago St. Patrick's Day I got a DUI. Over the past year, even though I've been in some treatment and known I needed help, my drinking has only gotten worse. Most days, I can't go a day or two without drinking. The most I've been sober over the past year was 31 days, and that was during the court visits and mandated therapy. I'm hoping to find ways to stay clean and sober here, as well as some group counseling and self-improvement stuff I've got going.

Anyway, nice to meet you and I look forward to contributing.

Card
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck, Card. I've found a lot of help and encouragement on this site. It's awesome you've recognized you need to quit. Many people go their entire lives without that feeling/desire. You've taken a bold first step and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck to you Card.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Cardinal! You'll find a lot of great support here!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome CardinalsFan!

It took me more than a few times to figure it out, too.... I kept thinking if I tried a little harder, I'd find a way to drink "successfully." Of course, alcoholism is progressive, so it only gets worse, never better.

I'm really glad you're here..... I found a lot of support and inspiration on this forum and it helped me turn my life around.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
So glad you are ready to admit you are powerless over alcohol & ready to live your life without it!
Prayers!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey! Today is my day 1 as well. I too had a drink early morning (took a shot of 100 proof at like 4am) but I'm really hoping that will be my last. I've got 2 DUI's in the past...after my 1st one I swore to myself I would never drink and drive again...but I did and I paid the price. No one really knows of my struggle with alcohol so I am hoping to find the support here that I need to try this sobriety thing out! Good luck to you
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Card

D
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody - I can tell already you're a neat group of people.

Good luck to you RightLAine. Hopefully we can both make it to Day 2, Day 3, and beyond...
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to meet you Card. This is a fantastic place. I came here when I was drinking 'round the clock - and I received so much support and strength. We know you can do this - congratulations on your first sober day.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Cardinal....I went on a beer binge last night and missed work today. I too, condsider this day one of my sobriety. I was sober for 6 years and took a drink last year on a blind date. And have been hitting the bar at least once a week and drinking heavy and sometimes two times. I am devestated by my behavior and just found and joined this community. I pray it helps me to find my way. It feels good to just be able to tell someone. So hi Cardinal....welcome to the journey you are not alone!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello friend . I am on day 2, and still learning to maneuver this site, but what I've seen Sofar is amazing. A truly caring bunch of people with very similar stories to mine and yours. As yesterday was my day one and new beginning, today is yours. Don't look back at mistakes, head up high and full speed ahead!!!!!! Hugs to you