Notices

my partner is one

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my partner is one

My partner started drinking heavily 5 years ago. She gets up in the morning
pours some Scotch, and continues to refill it and drink all day. She claims the Scotch is only for the pain of her Fibromyalgia and other pain.
About a year ago after I made her leave the house, she moved into a small rental, but within a week she said she would "never" drink at home if I let her move back in with me. That was after "4 years" of her "finding things" that "I did wrong", and cursing me out, and going into Alcohol fueled Rages. Well there was one definate rule that she said she would abide by, that was she would "never" treat me that way again after getting drunk. Well she "did" yesterday. I've tried to get her to go to AA, but she always says that when the Dr finally gives her "enough" pills to get her out of pain she won't have to
drink Scotch all day/night long! She is currently taking Vicodin, (strongest dose made) 4 times a day, Zanex, Celexa, and now she's gotten her Dr. to prescribe an Opiate? called Fentanyl for pain also. "those" drugs say right on the bottles/boxes "don't drink alcohol" with these meds. She won't go to AA because she's ONLY drinking to kill the pain. "I" want to go to Alanon to see if they have any ideas. (I'm not a good typist, and have to end here)!
Thanks for listening/reading. Ed
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

AlAnon will probably help you deal with some of the issues.

Honestly, I'd call her doctor. If the doc doesn't know she's drinking all day long, they need to.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi welcome

It might be good for you if you check out friends and family section as they are very wise and experienced in dealing with this.

I think alanon sounds a good idea for you.

I think she is playing a dangerous game, drinking whilst using so many medications.
Fentanyl is an opioid, your right.
I am not sure the doctor would have prescribed it to her if he knew how much she is drinking, along with all the other stuff.

Overall you need to look after and protect yourself.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I am not a Dr, but she is in trouble. I as an alcoholic found it very easy to blame someone/thing else for any reason to have a drink.

I believe that change can only happen once the alcoholic can accept that they are an alcoholic.

However in your case, she has much bigger problems. Those meds she is on are very powerful and highly addictive. In some ways, I am actually disgusted that her Dr just keeps writing out them scripts.

You are on the right track, please go to Alanon, they should be able to help you to at least understand how you are feeling and why and give you some tools/info to help you get your partner to some type of treatment.

Take care.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
AlAnon will probably help you deal with some of the issues.

Honestly, I'd call her doctor. If the doc doesn't know she's drinking all day long, they need to.
I'd echo this. They are some very strong meds she is on. It is only a matter of time before things go wrong combining them with all day drinking

Th problem is that unless she wants to stop and wants help she won't take it. As others have said, make sure you look after yourself first. Definitely check out alanon
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Agreed ^^^^^^^^
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

alanon will help you with your issues nots hers
Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I'm sorry for your situation but I'm glad you found us - you'll find a lot of support here, and in our Family and Friends forum too:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D