Notices

Help

Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Stopped drinking 36 days ago (cold turkey).

Was drinking lots of wine -- during the week 1-2 bottles, and on the weekend 2-3. For years, with the exception of a few brief/failed attempts at "moderation."

I have dealt with the withdrawal symptoms -- and am feeling better physically and mentally.

EXCEPT for the fact that I STINK!

With the exception of going to work, I have dealt with it mainly by staying on my own. But the guilt and humiliation associated with stinking BAD at work (cubicle farm) is really getting to me.

How long will this last???

Anything I can do to accelerate its end???

(I have been doing B-complex, Zinc, Magnesium and drinking LOTS of water -- and my hygiene is impeccable -- but to no avail.)

Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Stinky:

It will pass (when it passes).

I think I used to stink when i was drinking too but just didn't care.

All the best..

Bob R
Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there. What about a extra strength deodorant? If its any consolation, i stink also. I was told that no one can smell me. What do you mean you stink?

(Maybe bring in an air freshener to your cubicle)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use "Clinical" extra strength deodorant -- and my pits have been relatively dry (and smell like deodorant.

But the stench overwhelms it -- it doesn't seem to be localized -- it is coming out my pores from all over.

I did a ton of research on the web about this -- and figured it would pass with the other acute withdrawal symptoms after the first few weeks -- but it is still going STRONG into my sixth week!

I was also trying to discretely use febreeze, and to take frequent walks to let things air out. But the wincing/coughing/sneezing/avoiding of my coworkers is painful.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stinkycanuck View Post
I use "Clinical" extra strength deodorant -- and my pits have been relatively dry (and smell like deodorant.

But the stench overwhelms it -- it doesn't seem to be localized -- it is coming out my pores from all over.

I did a ton of research on the web about this -- and figured it would pass with the other acute withdrawal symptoms after the first few weeks -- but it is still going STRONG into my sixth week!

I was also trying to discretely use febreeze, and to take frequent walks to let things air out. But the wincing/coughing/sneezing/avoiding of my coworkers is painful.

Im sorry Stinkycanuck. I would sit by you if I were there. Could it be your B vitamins? I know that Vitamins can cause an odor at times. Have you looked into it?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you taking excessive B-Complex vitamins? They often cause a fishy odor from sweat/pores and urine.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hadn't considered that the B vitamins could be contributing...

Only taking 1 in the morning -- and only started taking them after the initial stench (thiamine is apparently supposed to help metabolize acetaldehyde -- which I suspect is responsible for some of the problem, fatty acid ethyl esters being responsible for the rest).

I will try dropping the vitamins.

Thanks for the great thought Mizzuno and KMT!!!

(And thank you Mizzuno for being willing to sit next to me.)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What part of Canada are you in??... I'll come and sit with you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you 2GD

Me and my BO are in TO.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You'll think I'm kidding but try "Secret" the women's deo. It's formulated differently and strong as heck. You'll smell pretty, too!