NPR interviews Slate's Emily Yoffe on forgiving abusive parents

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NPR interviews Slate's Emily Yoffe on forgiving abusive parents

It will come as no surprise that she says forgiveness is not always the best policy:

NPR Media Player
Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haven't listened yet, but will. I want to hear what their take is,
Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Interesting.

I found the original article but haven't read it yet.
Abusive parents: What do grown children owe the mothers and fathers who made their childhood a living hell? - Slate Magazine

Vicki
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you can forgive anyone. To me, forgiving is a symbolic way the person doing the forgiving can relieve themselves from carrying around the emoitional pain from the past.

That Doesn't mean you have talk to the person you are forgiving, or even tell them that you have forgiven them. Just because you forgive them doesn't make them safe. It's okay to protect yourself from anyone you deem unsafe.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mracoa View Post
That Doesn't mean you have talk to the person you are forgiving, or even tell them that you have forgiven them. Just because you forgive them doesn't make them safe. It's okay to protect yourself from anyone you deem unsafe.
Well, that's the thing -- as they note in the NPR piece, the parents who inflicted themselves upon us are not likely to "accept" our forgiveness, or however we want to put it, because they don't think they did anything in the first place. As far as they're concerned, they were perfect parents, just as they were always right and generally superior to everyone else. Anyone who couldn't see that must be some kind of idiot.

That's why I never bothered trying to sit down with my Dad and... whatever, having that Norman Rockwell closure-achieving last all-encompassing talk that people like to envision (without which we are, it goes without saying, going to be suffering a lifetime of guilt for not having had). He was a Superior Form of Life, so there would have been no point in forgiving... whatever it was that he was supposed to have done, because he obviously didn't do anything -- we just weren't up on his level, so we couldn't see it.

T
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bracing, important read. Thanks for sharing.

This issue is taboo, imo. It's places like here, this little forum, where it can be talked about.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, our parents rarely accept any blame. Well except when they are sloppy drunk and apologizing for what they did and will do again and again. When I came to the realization of forgiveness for my parents their acceptance was not important. I forgave for me and because that is what my religion required for me to be at peace. It was literally canceling their debt and not caring whether they paid it or not or whether appreciated it or not. It really didn't have anything to do with them.

Many people abuse such forgiveness, teaching that it means all is forgotten and go back into the situation but that is not needed.

Others feel that if they forgive they have created a crack in their armor. If they forgive, then they will have hope, if they have hope then they will care, if they care then they will enmesh themselves in the abusers life again, and then they will be hurt again. It becomes a domino effect.

But it doesn't have to, you can still remain emotionally detached. Don't expect forgiveness to change anyone, don't expect forgiveness to make them like you, or become sober. Forgiveness frees you, if done right. You become a new person, like this quote explains:

“Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being a victim--letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.”
― C.R. Strahan
Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't heard the NPR program, however I did want to offer this up for consderation. It is a link to Alice Miller speaking on the subject of forgiveness.

alice-miller.com/articles_en.php?lang=en&nid=48&grp=11
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kialua, the idea of cancelling a debt, wiping the balance clean. I've heard that before, but it's hitting me in a new way this morning. Thank you for that!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tromboneliness View Post
Well, that's the thing -- as they note in the NPR piece, the parents who inflicted themselves upon us are not likely to "accept" our forgiveness, or however we want to put it, because they don't think they did anything in the first place. As far as they're concerned, they were perfect parents, just as they were always right and generally superior to everyone else. Anyone who couldn't see that must be some kind of idiot.
Exactly. Everything I have ever mentioned happening, being said, etc. in the past 20 years was a lie. Sad thing is, I think she really believes it. I think she either doesn't remember or remembers it differently with the haze of alcohol.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DghtrOfAlc View Post
Exactly. Everything I have ever mentioned happening, being said, etc. in the past 20 years was a lie. Sad thing is, I think she really believes it. I think she either doesn't remember or remembers it differently with the haze of alcohol.
Yup. My mom never did admit to a thing. Except to say she couldn't remember that. I suppose it's possible for the alcoholic to have a bad memory, but she wasn't the alcoholic, she was the martyr enabler.