Notices

did you toss out the liquor?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

did you toss out the liquor?

So i am wndering about this, when you REALLY decided you were done drinking what did you do with the alcohol in your home? I have half a bottle of vodka in my cabinet and at first i said i was tossing it out but it's still there... why? Why can't i just throw it away. I should right? What did you do (considering, you didn't already drink it all )
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a question I never would have to answer because I always drank until everything was consumed. I can remember tipping the bottle to my lips and sticking my tongue up the neck to see if I could get just one last drop.
I would suggest you get rid of the alcohol. No need to temp yourself this early in sobriety....or ever.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have half a bottle of vodka that's been there for 2 months. I get a lot more satisfaction knowing that I can resist it. So far so good!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I threw everything that I had out. My roommate and I had a lot of leftover beer from our Superbowl party, and there was something empowering about throwing it all out and saying "I'm really done."

Fortunately my roommate doesn't care if we have alcohol in the apartment, which is good, because I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Made it through day 15 today and my first real alcohol craving since quitting. Not so sure that would have happened if alcohol was available in the apartment.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We usually drank it all, but kept finding surprise "leftovers" for about a month after we quit. We poured it down the drain, and that is my advice to you.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yep and as always talked about having a bar in the basement. I always laugh because it would be in empty bar. we drink everything until it's gone. when I'm hungover, I always toss it down the drain. because as long as its there... I will find an excuse to drink it.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had it taken out of the house for me by friends. We had a case of wine that friends picked up and carried out of the house while I watched. I will be forever grateful to them for doing so. It was something that I could not do.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

If you're committed to not drinking, then why have the alcohol there? Many of us have done the dump the booze down the drain ceremony. And then picked up later. I know I have. If I am hanging onto a bottle, then there is lurking notion in me that I will be able to drink normally at some point. Not the healthiest thinking, for me.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I poured out what I had left and made it like a ritual flushing it down the toilet as if pouring it out of my life. Like Paul99 mentions I have tried to flush out the booze before and for one reason or another would fall back into buying more today I just hope to make it through the day. I feel as if you don't have it you might be less tempted but that is my opinion for what it is worth.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have no alcohol in the house, ever. We don't serve alcohol here.

It keeps life simple.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it's dangerous to keep your drink of choice in the house especially early on in recovery. It's too easy to just pick up in a weak moment. going to the shop etc takes longer and you may change your mind en route
Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Throw it out. I have throwing out so much booze in my life. Drink...next day wake up feel like crap, only thing that made me feel some what better is pouring the alcohol that I did not finish down the sink. NO MORE DRINKING not if it makes me feel this way...only to be pissed at my self that night...crap...why did I do that...and then buy some more...silly I know...but true.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I threw it all away.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I would NEVER have my drink of choice in the house, and when friends come around for a meal and bring a bottle I make them take what they didn't drink home. However I have had beer and red wine in the house since before I stopped and have never given them a second thought.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
All is Change

I can't immediately remember deliberately by my choice throwing out booze.

Maybe I did at some time.

I do remember that my last drink was the neck of a bottle of port that I then spent some time contemplating until I poured out the rest and haven't drunk since.

Today, I don't have anything with alcohol in it in any places within my control. If I find anything, like recently I realised my mouthwash had alcohol in it, (that's a primer for me (the taste and even minute amounts absorbed) that if I know of and don't stop exposing myself to it it has in the past led to relapse for me) so I found a non alcohol content version. I don't agonise over it, but I'm not going to risk my sobriety in any way. Today.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I was a wine drinker and there wasn't any to toss! That was all gone...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I serve alcohol to others when I make family dinners...I'm the one with problem and it is not my place to tell my family what they should drink.

at the end of the evening, it goes into a box and my brother takes it home with him...he can enjoy a rum and coke and stop at one or 2, my SIL can have a glass of wine with dinner or a vodka...it probably lasts them 3 months.i might save 4-5 ounces of white wine for flavoring cooking, I freeze it in a small container.

when i stopped drinking there was nothing left in the house to dispose of...I had finished it all.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I took a 2/3 full handle of vodka and glug glug glugged into the toilet immediately. Wine got packed up taken out of the house. The empties got taken back to the store. All gone. All of it.

The action was symbolic in some ways, and it helped me to understand what I had decided to do.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had my husband hide the wine in his bike room. That did not work, I found it easy but took two sips and gagged at myself, poured it out, and have not touched any since then. I don't think it is a good idea to have any alcohol around. Knowing it is there only adds stress to life and creates an invisible tension among the people involved.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah I would drink until there was nothing left. So nothing to throw away!