Notices

The Sponsor Shuffle

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Sponsor Shuffle

Hi Everyone, happy beginning of the week!

So tonight in my meeting I decided to finally get serious about getting a sponsor. I hadn't chosen one yet because I was still trying to figure out what AA was all about and, quite frankly, I was still making some excuses about full commitment.

Not a full commitment to stopping drinking---there is no way I can go on with that anymore unless I plan on killing myself---but in actually being responsible and honest enough to let someone else guide me through this.

Last week I mentioned that I was looking for a sponsor and one woman approached me after the meeting. She was fantastic and I was inspired to speak for the first time last week after she spoke. But she was so intense in person that after an hour of her speaking to me, I was a nervous wreck. She was great, mind you, and I appreciate people who are dedicated and enthusiastic but she was so...I guess "intense" is the only word that comes to mind here...that at one point I noticed I had backed up from her so much as to be firmly wedged between the coffee pot and a placard with the Serenity Prayer nearly sitting on the counter in the back of the room. ("God grant me the serenity to not scramble up onto this counter and upend the coffee pot in my lap whilst trying to melt into the wall...")

I was tempted to go ahead with her anyway because I don't want to give myself any further chances to make excuses but decided to give myself another week to ponder this nevertheless.

Glad I did as tonight I found my sponsor. I knew she was the sponsor of a woman in my group who I liked immediately for her candor and no nonsense attitude and her sponsor (who came to an earlier meeting with her) seemed to possess those same traits. So I asked the woman in my group tonight if her sponsor was taking "new recruits" and it turned out she is. So we're meeting tomorrow.

I know they tell you in AA it is sometimes best to choose in a sponsor someone with an opposite personality from yours but this woman impressed me when she spoke and I definitely felt calm around her. This, at least to me, is essential to trusting and opening up.

Anyway, that's my story for tonight. Still doing the AA thing this week and about to do the sponsor thing, too.

Much love to you all and thanks as always for being here and being awesome
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

way to go, pt! working the steps with a sponsor really helped me...
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! Having a sponsor is what kept me "in the rooms" for sure. Other times I was just there; I didn't really get the program. My sponsor helped me understand the program and how to apply the steps to my life.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really good to hear you're progressing.

Inspiring!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For an alcoholic, you sound like you really have your head screwed on right (and you sound very positive too!)!

Congratulations on your progress!