OT -- The Last Push Towards My MS

Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
OT -- The Last Push Towards My MS

Just got back from visiting my other brother in GA. During semester break, I have a difficult time unplugging from my life if I stay home, so I go away for a few days and stay with my brother.

Tomorrow begins the final seven week push towards my MS in electrical and computer engineering. My last exam is April 25, and Commencement is May 11, exactly two months from today. And it feels so, so weird. When the AXGF was in the picture, I didn't fully realize that consciously or otherwise, she was undercutting me every day. More to the point, she didn't care because addicts, either using or abstaining but not in recovery, are so inherently self-seeking, the only thing that matters to them is getting what they want, how they want, and when they want it. During the fall of 2011, there were more than a few moments when I thought Commencement, for me, would never come. And yet now it's a mere two months away.

So, what's graduate level work like for an EE? In my case, math, more math, and nothing but the math. It's nuts. But I just need to get through these next seven weeks in one piece. Then I'll be home free...
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Zoso)) - Fantastic! As someone who is not a fan of math, I truly admire you. So glad you've been able to focus on you and school.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Congrats. As a former Computer Science major (that degree is also dept. of engineering) I know how much math you have to do
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are just amazing. earlier today I really could have used a math guy...I have a faculty member who know has a .20 fte and is 20-25% on a project which I have to calculate to achieve a certain budget target AND convert the NIH's brain child known as "person months" - so of a 12 month year what is the person month calculation for a 20% fte devoting a % of time to equal $5682 annual considering a 27.7% percent fringe added in? who divides by 12 for pete's sake?

the first work Monday after a time change is just NOT the day for me to try and figure this kind of crap!!!

go zoso GO!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
you are just amazing. earlier today I really could have used a math guy...I have a faculty member who know has a .20 fte and is 20-25% on a project which I have to calculate to achieve a certain budget target AND convert the NIH's brain child known as "person months" - so of a 12 month year what is the person month calculation for a 20% fte devoting a % of time to equal $5682 annual considering a 27.7% percent fringe added in? who divides by 12 for pete's sake?

the first work Monday after a time change is just NOT the day for me to try and figure this kind of crap!!!

go zoso GO!
I don't do any financial type math, so without context, I'd be worthless. I do a lot these days with the divergence theorem and Stokes theorem, surface integrals, line integrals, volume integrals, and linear algebra. Makes my head explode just thinking about it...

Thanks for the encouragement, Anvil...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you can do the theorem stuff, i'll keep the percentage gazinta stuff! I feel like i'm chattin' with carl sagan or something with your fabulous brain!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for being such a light and reminding me (indirectly and directly) that I made the right choice 2 months ago when I dropped the rope. Wishing you a blessed 7 weeks ahead toward commencement- own it!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((zoso)))))

You have come a long way my friend!!!!! That finish line for this goal is just ahead,
keep going forward you are close to this goal!!!!!! And soon your next goal will
start.

You have come so far, and shared so much with us, THANK YOU. And your growth
is phenomenal!!!!

Plerase keep posting as you are really a 'ray of sunshine' when any of us are feeling
like the cloud of doom is over our heads!

Lots of love and bunches and bunches of hugs,
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can DO it!

Hugs
ke