Notices

Day one

Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

Hello folks
Day one for me again.
Tried AA ten years ago and managed 6 weeks sober before deciding it wasn,t for me.I am weekend binge drinker.When I start drinking it usually ends up in blackout.So many things have happened to me over the years ..usuall stuff..drink driving,trips to hospital,panic attacks ,fights.
I have ended up broke and living at home with my parents as my partner can not stand bye and watch me destroy myself any more.She is very supportive and hopes we can live together again when I sort myself out.
Had a massive wake up call last night.After a heavy binge that ended up in blackout I found myself outside with no money and phone dead in -8 temperature with windchill freezing to death.A good Samaritan fellow drinker I hardly know found me and took me in to his flat to thaw me out.I woke this morning on his couch with the fire still blasting feeling very lucky to be alive.I find it easy not drinking through the week but will need some support Thursday through Sunday.gonai talk to my doc tomorrow about getting some help.
Hope I make it this time.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ReefGeek, Day one? You are FANTASIC. Congratulations. Before ya know it, 10 days.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome to SR, Reefgeek. It's great that you realized your wake-up call for what it is and are taking steps to change your life! Seeing your doctor is a great idea and coming here for support and wisdom has been a lifesaver for so many of us.

Since you know weekends are tough, plan now how you will take care of yourself so you won't drink. Maybe find an AA meeting, hang out with sober friends, stay on SR all night and day if you need to. Knowing others know what you are going through is priceless.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Lyoness
...stay on SR all night and day if you need to.
BTDT. There's always someone here to talk to. Finding this place has helped me immeasurably.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for seeking support.

I think planning is key and you need to plan to be doing other things on the weekend so you can avoid getting caught up in the usual routine of drinking.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, reefgeek. I'm so glad you're ok after that frightening experience. I began doing dangerous things, too - towards the end of my drinking career. I was afraid for my life, and completely out of control.

It's good you're seeing a doctor. You can get free of that toxic stuff and have a great life. No more misery.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a great site! Thanks to the help of the people here I've stayed sober over three years now. We can help you too, if you let us.