Notices

The "Stigma" of Alcoholism

Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "Stigma" of Alcoholism

I was disappointed to read of the recent incident at an athletic event between Colorado State and a team from Wyoming where the Wyoming "fans" purportedly jeered at the Colorado coach, deriding him as an "Alcoholic!". He had had a struggle with alcohol and had ten years sobriety. But, according to these "fans" he must live with the stigma, humiliated at public events because of his illness.
When will they ever learn? When I was young "drunkenness" was a joke. We were meant to laugh at W.C. Fields with his gin flavored "grapefruit" juice. We were meant to laugh at "Amos and Andy". The old habits still linger on. The insensitive cruelties. And it is something that we, as recovering alcoholics, have to live with from time to time. For some it makes recovery more difficult. No problem gets better if others laugh and sneer at it. If those "fans" choose to be childish, then perhaps they might try to be more sensitive and responsible children. Because, according to estimates, a significant percentage of them may become alcoholics, or, as they might put it, "drunkards". When that comes, other "children" may laugh at them....

W.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that there is a stigma regarding alcoholism and even more so about women who are alcoholics. That's why my recovery is private.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's sad. I hope he is ok, I'm sure he's overcome worse. People can be so ignorant. I am an alcoholic / addict AND I have depression (mental illness is also stigmatized heavily in our society) so I can relate.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Painter, I agree with you. With all the medical research and the progress in the fields of addiction, one can be more than surprised to hear that, in 2013, someone can be publicly humiliated because of he has an history of alcoholism. But, and to the risk to offend some, I found it even less comprehensible that if in certain AA meetings, some members might get offended if I introduce myself as an addict. If I do so, it is because I was addicted to drugs and alcohol and that I consider alcoholism as an addiction. (On top of that, I have a very strong french accent and when I say alcoholic, most of the room turns to me with a... "What the hell did she say she was..." (funny but true story...)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deadlydame View Post
Hello Painter, I agree with you. But, and to the risk to offend some, I found it even less comprehensible that if in certain AA meetings, some members might get offended if I introduce myself as an addict. If I do so, it is because I was addicted to drugs and alcohol and that I consider alcoholism as an addiction.
Alcoholism is indeed an addiction. The only difference between alcohol and other substances is that the sale and possession of alcohol is lawful. (Leaving aside the question of whether the laws are correct with regard to any particular substance). Alcoholism is, and has aways been, a major illness in our times. And my impression is that addiction to other substances has increased over the past eighty years. Yet our culture is in many respects in denial. Persons with these problems are often "treated" by prison sentences, at enormous cost and little result. And they continue to be stigmatized even though they may have managed to achieve recovery. The culture itself is as ill as they are or have been.

W.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

My reply to those people:

"Mozart's brain was wired for music. Einstein's brain was wired for mathematics. Mine was wired for addiction. Obviously, your's was wired for *******. I changed my mind, can you?"
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If nobody knew I was an alcoholic then I wouldn't be able to help those around me who may need help.

My next door neighbor may shoot himself thinking he was in a hopeless state.... that nobody understands his pain.

A sponsee, (sober for almost 3 yrs now) knew of my suicide attempts in the 1980's and my rehab & AA work since. He came to me in 2010 asking if I would be his sponsor. He said "If AA worked for a man like you, I think it will work for me" .

I care little if some in the community don't like me. That's the way life is.
I do care about the folks who like, need and rely on me... who nourish me.

As a recovering AA, God wants me to do His work. And I can't do that if I keep it under my hat.

I bet that Colorado coach has set a good example for many of his alcoholic students. They will know who to go to. They won't die in lonely, hopeless despair if they reach out to coach.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lot's of people are belittled for things which they have no choice over, disabilities, sexuality, gender, mental illness... This is just one more. I think the more people who are open about it though the less stigma there will be attached to it. And some education in schools about alcoholism wouldn't hurt.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sports fans often engage in bad behavior because of crowd psychology. I'm guessing many of those who chanted actually understand that addiction isn't a moral failure.

And more importantly, I believe the Colorado coach wasn't fazed by the chants. I'm sure he understands and takes pride in his success with recovery, and he probably understands how fans often behave.

I don't mean to excuse the fans, they behaved like A-Holes, but I don't believe the stigma is as prevalent than it once was; and let's remember, there will always be people who will never understand addiction and will criticize ex-addicts as moral failures. Personally, I find it easy to ignore ignorant people; actually, I feel more pity than anger.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Lot's of people are belittled for things which they have no choice over, disabilities, sexuality, gender, mental illness... This is just one more. I think the more people who are open about it though the less stigma there will be attached to it. And some education in schools about alcoholism wouldn't hurt.
People who belittle others do it to feel better about themselves. If it's not one thing it's another.