Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

One more rant before I put into words my first al anon meeting

Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My last post detailed by weekend, just with what I thought initially was one small detail left out.

When I visited the doctor, apart from giving me a counselling number, he also suggested that I go round the local shops that sell alcohol and ask them not to sell any to my AH.

What a great idea I thought.....if he can't buy alcohol then he won't get drunk.

Second thought.....if the professional services, ie. doctors, counsellors, police won't do anything to help then why should the poor girl in the liquor shop be responsible.

I am 99 per cent my AH would not do anything violent but who knows what can happen if some one gets between an alcoholic and their drink.

I do know that if it was my daughter working in the shop my advice would be to let them buy whatever they like with no comment.

I think that this is my last rant. Been to my first al-anon meeting tonight and am ready (I think) to try to concentrate on me.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are going to focus on you.

Alcohoism is a horrible disease and those of us in relationships with alcoholics are in the line of fire.

I hope you continue to post and more importantly begin your own journey of healing.

Asking shop keepers not to sell booze to your husband is kind of a an exercise in futility, if he wants to get booze he will, but you already know that.

Welcome to SR, so glad you found us.

Sounds like you have alot on your plate.

Nice to meet you, Katie xo
Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, telling people not to sell it to him, pouring out bottles that you find, etc., are useless. Alcoholics will always find a way, and all you are doing is getting more enmeshed in his behavior.

Glad you got to a meeting. Keep it up--they will help.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You likely heard about the 3C's in your meeting. We didn't Cause it,can't Cure it, and can't CONTROL it. That one is where we all get caught up. Asking someone not to sell him alcohol is a futile effort in control. I would pour bottles out, throw them out, hide them, etc. Made me crazy....and he kept drinking. I would tell my counselor how much he drank in a certain day. One day my counselor looked at me and said, "STOP counting!" The best thing I did for me was learn to detach. Let him do what he's going to do, and experience the natural consequences for his choices.

People who have no experience with this, or no background in it, can't understand. Sounds like your Dr doesn't have a lot of knowledge about the disease. He may be fine with respect to handling the physical ailments that go along with it, but doesn't seem to understand the spectrum of the disease. That's not a criticism, not everyone has expertise in everything. The experts who can really help you learn about this are in that AlAnon meeting...so keep coming back to it!