Notices

New and scared

Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and scared

Hi all,

Very nervous, this is very new to me and the first time I have ever faced my problem and spoke to anyone about this.

I am 30, newly married and started drinking heavily 4 years ago. I think it was due to having low self esteem. At first it was no problem - just a glass of wine on a night but then it went to 1 bottle of wine a night and i started hiding bottles and my drinking from my husband. I have a full time job and I my drinking has never got in the way of that - I always go in and fulfil my responsibilities. The problem is I have started waking up sooo sooo tired with an ache in my back I worry is kidley or liver damage. I ahve booked to see a doctor on Thursday - but am so worried as we want to try for children soon and I think I may have damamged myself.

How long did it take anyone to go to the doctor and was everything OK?

Thanks for reading xx
Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drank for ten years and drank heavily for the last three--amazingly, I checked out OK.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have just joined today. I made the decision to stood drinking yesterday.

This forum seems like a great place and I am sure you will find help.

Your suggestion of going to visit your doctor is a good one. Make an appointment today to talk through your worries. Nipping early problems in the bud will mean you will hopefully have no issues conceiving a healthy baby.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to SR

Don't be scared, this is a great place. I drank a bottle of wine a night too and stopped 3 months ago. I've only just seen my doc and waiting for results but he did tell me how dangerous it is to just quit without medical advice so please see your doc and be truly honest with him/her. welcome
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was at my last treatment center, we had constant medical supervision. We took blood pressure 4 times a day. We also had blood work done and some other things. They drew blood from me and ordered a CBC metabolic panel test. Although I wasn't very shocked, my liver enzymes came back higher than normal. The doctor did mention that my eyes seemed sort of yellow. I'm not sure if he was just trying to scare me.

The liver is one of those special body organs that can regenerate itself. They are resilient, but only up to a certain point. Basically, if you give your body enough healing time, your body should return back to normal.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi northerngirl

Try not to worry too much about damage - the instant we stop drinking destructively, our body starts to repair itself.

The sooner we stop, the better chance we have of no lasting damage and a full recovery.

best wishes for your doctors visit - and welcome aboard - you'll find a lot of support here

D