Notices

New!

Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New!

hi everyone I'm new to this site.

I don't know if this is the right place for me as I don't know if I have what would be called an out and out problem with drink but what I do know is that I don't like how I behave/feel after drinking and so I have decided to give it up.

I managed all week with nothing to drink last week and found it really tough.

Does anyone know how long after stopping you experience cravings for?

Or is that something that you can expect to battle with for a long time after stopping?

Thank you x
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Welcome StoneRose!

I think everyone's experiences are differently. I felt pretty rubbish and had frequent cravings for about 3 months, but then noticed a sure and steady improvement so by 6 months the cravings were far fewer and milder - and my mood was so much brighter as well. I'm at 11 months now and I'm experiencing almost no cravings and those that I get are very mild - so very very different to 11 months ago when I hated the idea of a single day without beer.

Hang in there!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Michael66.

It's good to hear you're not experiencing them as strongly now and well done on achieving 11 months!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aww.. welcome and for me after almost 90 days, the cravings are still there and in a way, I think they always will be to some extent. I did quit a few years ago for different reasons other than my health. This time, the stark physical realities were there and it feels great not to be drinking.
My everyday drinking was others binge drinking, but it still washes out the same. It's a problem and we are taking care of ourselves. Good luck to you and happy Sunday!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StoneRose83 View Post
hi everyone I'm new to this site.

I don't know if this is the right place for me as I don't know if I have what would be called an out and out problem with drink but what I do know is that I don't like how I behave/feel after drinking and so I have decided to give it up.

I managed all week with nothing to drink last week and found it really tough.

Does anyone know how long after stopping you experience cravings for?

Or is that something that you can expect to battle with for a long time after stopping?

Thank you x
Hi StoneRose!

The physical cravings went pretty quickly but I get caught out in old familiar situations with mental cravings- seeing people laughing in a pub garden having a beer in the sun etc. I'm a little over 4 months and I feel, once I've done all seasons and celebrations over the next 12 months, I'll be in a stronger place to disregard those mental cravings. I've already done Christmas & New Year, now on to holidays, my birthday, a wedding later in the year and romanticising all those summer picnic concerts.

All I know is, I have never regretted waking up sober.

Good luck. PS are you a Stone Roses fan by any chance?

S x
Old 03-10-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When it starts to get easier is when you have to watch it the most. I slipped up after about six months. Thought I could do one gig, which I did, nothing bad happened, I was like a 'normal' drinker. Wahey! No way am I going to get back to how I was, I thought.

Pah! Been drinking in secret, every chance I could get, and here I am again, back to square one. Good luck StoneRose83.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So many supportive and positive posts! Thank you all so much.

I know I haven't really given much detail as to my own drinking (I didn't want to go on) but it's only the last year or so it's dawned on me that's become a bit more of a habit than it should've been. I am able to control it to a certain extent (for instance if it's a work night I won't drink) but then I get into this managing 5 days thing and going overboard on a weekend. Also what used to be "enough" quickly wasn't and I was drinking far more on a night out than anyone else I was with and also finding it difficult to call it quits. Then I'd feel rough as a dog the next day and full of guilt and remorse. Not that anything bad every happened but I can't bear that dread feeling of not remembering who I have spoken to and what I have said. Also since I've got older my drinking behaviour has got more outlandish and what was probably acceptable for someone in their 20's doesn't feel that way now I'm in my 30's.

Thanks again to everyone who replied and I will be back as I think this is a great site.
x
Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR StoneRose

I found that trying to define my cravings was really difficult. I was so adamant I wouldn't drink to start of with that cravings didn't bother me too much. When things started getting easier the mental cravings went a bit haywire. I think they will always be there, not that we go through life 'craving' alcohol, but that there will always be the odd moment where a drink seems like a good idea. That's where recovery programs and methods come in handy. It is always good to learn some tools to help you stay quit x
Old 03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great advice here already - welcome StoneRose

D