Notices

Thank you...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you...

I just wanted to say thank you. I'm not an alcoholic though my father and most of his family were. My problem is binge drinking, which I do infrequently but still... I stumbled on this site yesterday when I was looking for info about the effects of alcohol on the body after having a binge episode Friday evening. I read some very thoughtful and enlightening threads here so thanks for being so candid and honest.

When I say I'm not an alcoholic what I mean is that I have no physical or emotional dependency on booze. I can, and do, go months without touching the stuff or just drinking moderately (one or two glasses of wine with dinner, for example). However, that doesn't mean I don't have a drinking problem since I do occasionally binge drink. I see that now for what it is and am glad for that before I hurt myself or more importantly those close to me. The net result is that I'm no longer going to drink alcohol, I don't need it and I don't want it to ruin my life the way it did my dad.

The reason I binge is simple enough, lack of self control. I sometimes get that "comfortably numb" feeling that I love and the next thing you know I'm driving when I shouldn't and wondering what happened the night before. Over the years that has become less and less but even once in a while is once too often. It cuts too close to home for me.

Not sure that I'll have much to contribute but I wanted to register so I could say thank you and wish all of you success in recovery.

Jay
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jay. I just joined yesterday. I'm also a binger but my binges are twice a week generally and have been ongoing for decades. I don't have a physical addiction but I have everything else and I've not been able to stop drinking. I'm done. Absolutely sick of it. I'm going to AA because as someone pointed out to me, if my last 100 attempts to moderate didnt work, why would this attpt be any different.

Anyway, I'm glad you see that alcohol is not your friend. Good luck to you.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you TH. I watched my dad struggle when I was a child. One of my earliest memories is of two strangers bringing him home out cold after being on the losing end of a fight. He finally got clean after he had a stroke at age 45 but by then it was too late. Glad you're getting help beating the problem.

Wish you all the best.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Buzz

There's a lot of us here who binged - you're not alone and you'll find a lot of support

D