Notices

Daughter of an Alcoholic

Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daughter of an Alcoholic

Hello!
I am in need of help. My father is an alcoholic and I would love some input from other alcoholics on how I can help him. He has admitted that he is an alcoholic, in fact about 5 years ago he became sober for about a year and a half until he relapsed again. He drinks every night and is capable of stopping because for the past four days he has been sober but tonight he drank again. My mom is about at the end of her ropes with his drinking and our family is suffering because of it. What helped you guys, the recovering alcoholics, stop drinking for good? Did any family members do anything that helped you immensely?
Thank you!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi janaygt

They have a motto in Al Anon (the 12 step support group for friends and families of problem drinkers) called the three C's - you didn't cause it, you can't cure it, and you can't control it.

I really believe that - no amount of pleading, no amount of crying, no amount of anger from my loved ones could make me quit until I was ready.

I know how hard it is to accept that. We all want our loved ones to be happy and healthy but I think sobriety needs an internal motivation not an external one.

That's not to say you should lose hope - alcoholics do recover, every day - I'm one, and you'll find many thousands more here

I hope you'll visit our Family and Friends forums and our ACOA (Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents) forum - you'll find a lot of people down there who know exactly what you're going through

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

D
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I hope your father decides to stop drinking.

I wonder if you and your mother have considered AlAnon as a support for yourselves?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

We can quit and we can stop drinking, but staying stopped is a serious challenge to us. He has to want to stay stopped and be willing to put in the effort to stay stopped. Not easy at all.

Try Al Anon!