Notices

Will aa be my next step?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will aa be my next step?

I'm three weeks into my sobriety. I haven't been to aa yet. I've been using the avrt techniques and sober recovery. Yesterday was tough but I was feeling positive this morning. When I got home I took my dog for a hike feeling refreshed and healthy. During the hike i saw a bottle of vodka (my drink of choice) thrown on the trail. I walked to it and kicked it over to see if it was empty. It was a weird moment. The bottle was empty but I have no idea why I had to go over to it. Would of I drank it if it had liquid in it? I really needed someone to talk to after that. I confided in a close family member and they responded "yuck no way you would if drank it". My family has been great but I feel I'm missing something this past week. Maybe someone who understands that I may have drank out of a dirty vodka bottle thrown on a trail.......
Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Holy cow, can so relate to that. I believe I would have done the same thing honestly. Dont think I would have drank out of it, but truth is I was the girl that would finish off who ever's drink at a party, as long as it had alcohol in it!

I enjoy AA, but not sure if I could have shared that moment either. Im still new too, only 53 days - At least we have this site for sharing.

Thank you for sharing, again another reminder that we are all a "hike" away from a relapse.

Prayers.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

If you want to listen to a nice explanation of sorts, try xa-speakers.org and look for Sandy B. Saturday Morning Live under the Alcoholics Anonymous section--he had a Saturday morning meeting he spoke at in the early 1990's which happened to be recorded. These were actual meetings with a very large audience at the time.

Alcoholics identify with other alcoholics and since most of human communication is about 70% (or is it 93%) non-verbal, face to face conversations are best!

Peace,
~SB
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouRmySunshine View Post
Holy cow, can so relate to that. I believe I would have done the same thing honestly. Dont think I would have drank out of it, but truth is I was the girl that would finish off who ever's drink at a party, as long as it had alcohol in it!

I enjoy AA, but not sure if I could have shared that moment either. Im still new too, only 53 days - At least we have this site for sharing.

Thank you for sharing, again another reminder that we are all a "hike" away from a relapse.

Prayers.
I love that "hike" away from relapse. So true even when your not expecting it.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Kiki,

I hope you go to an AA meeting, and if you don't like it try a different one. Even here on Orcas Island we have two different groups, and one of the groups has a meeting which does not emphasize God (the meeting is called "Mindfulness").

At the meeting I attended today, one topic that we discussed was vanilla extract. One person was going through a couple bottles a week. I shared that I am really proud of myself because we can keep vanilla extract in our home--a few months ago I would have drank it all.

You will find that most folks at AA meetings understand your reaction to the vodka bottle by the trail.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's a good idea Kiki. Going to meetings really helped me know I wasn't alone and is a good opportunity to make new friends. SR is amazing but meeting people face to face just makes it more real and helped me consolidate my recovery. Go for it x
Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is no downside to AA. If you don't like it you can leave. It isn't the cult that some people make it out to be. AA's primary purpose: "To stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety".
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
jkb

I too practice AVRT/RR and when I hit my 30 day mark I went to a meeting. I really wanted some other alcoholics to say "yay". After that I went to a meeting I used to go to all the time when I was attempting AA and I had a wonderful time. If nothing else the "fellowship" is great.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you feel you need to go or want to give it try then go and see if you like it. There are many other groups also that have meetings all over the country so if aa turns out not to be your cup of tea then try another. Remember you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
I'm three weeks into my sobriety. I haven't been to aa yet. I've been using the avrt techniques and sober recovery. Yesterday was tough but I was feeling positive this morning. When I got home I took my dog for a hike feeling refreshed and healthy. During the hike i saw a bottle of vodka (my drink of choice) thrown on the trail. I walked to it and kicked it over to see if it was empty. It was a weird moment. The bottle was empty but I have no idea why I had to go over to it. Would of I drank it if it had liquid in it? I really needed someone to talk to after that. I confided in a close family member and they responded "yuck no way you would if drank it". My family has been great but I feel I'm missing something this past week. Maybe someone who understands that I may have drank out of a dirty vodka bottle thrown on a trail.......
Kiki, I am exactly 3 weeks today myself. I began with SR first few days and I then joined a group (its not AA, its Life Ring) its a discussion/support group. Its so comforting to have like minded people. A small group of about 8, and people feel very comfortable to admit all things, as I do. I never dreamed I would be able to discuss my shameful actions while drunk and feel understood/accepted. Its something to consider joining some type of support group. I'm not sure I could do this alone. So having SR and 2 ftf meetings a week are major crutches for me. (I too had hard time yesterday - Fridays are the worst - end of work week). Knowing I had support meeting next morning (Saturday) encouraged me not to stop at shop on way home from work. Continued success
Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kiki, I think you should do whatever you think will help you.

And, I hope you keep reading and posting here.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great work on your 3 weeks!!