Notices

I don't even know who I am?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't even know who I am?

This is a repeat of a comment I just left for Midlife crisis on his thread "So, so sad"

I hope it will encourage you new people in AA or another program or even just here.

I can relate to the not knowing who you are when still using and even in early recovery, but I started by going into a detox and then I went to meetings, meetings, meetings.

So I knew who I was then, I was a meeting maker and a person who was trying to do the next right thing.

Then I volunteered for service in NA and made coffee. So now I was the meeting maker, the person who who was trying to do the next right thing and the coffee maker.

Then I got involved in planning the activities for NA such as picnics and dances. So Now I knew I was the meeting maker, the person trying to do the next right thing, the coffee maker and the person planning the activities for NA,

Then I was voted into to be the secretary for H and I. ( we bring meetings into detox.) So now I was the meeting maker, , the person trying to do the next right thing, the coffee maker, the person planning the activities for NA and the secretary for H and I.

Then one day I started speaking at detox once a week, so now I was the meeting maker, the person trying to do the next right thing, the coffee maker,the activity planner, the secretary of H and I and the person who brought meetings into detox.

And now because I am doing the next right thing and staying clean with the help of all of you, AA and God. I have a job and a silly title. Energy Rep.lol

I had no idea who I was one year ago when I tried to commit suicide, but very slowly I started with one thing at a time and began building a new identity for myself. A sober and clean identity.

It didn't happen all at once but one day at a time and that is how it will be for you all too! But you have to start somewhere.Today I know who I am and who I want to be.

Just start somewhere and you will slowly get strong enough to do a little more and next thing you know you will start feeling good about your self and feeling self worth and you will be sure of who you are. A special and valued child of God who is gonna make a difference in this world and perhaps in the life of another addict someday.Your story will help someone else someday.You will actually find value in your past one day. It's up to you! Just walk thru that fear, you can do it. And we can help eachother! God Bless You!!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
you will be sure of who you are.
I know who I am, I just wish there was a little less of me. lol ( Overweight boo!)
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great inspirational post,thank you