Notices

Scared.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared.

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I do not have any recovery time. However, I have chosen to do outpatient which begins in 4 hours. Its not the place that scares me. Its the thought of having 2 go thru life without using.....
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Think about going through death by using.

Hang in there. Be resolute. We got your back.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think ehhhhhverybody hates the prospect of Never. Drinking. Again. I did and still do.

But I think that's when you start considering what alcohol/drugs have taken from you, what they could and likely will take from you in the future and you also try not to think about the idea of forever, but about only the day in front of you.

I hate the negative consequences of my own drinking, but I can actually use my losses and suffering to my advantage, to remind me that that is NOT something I want to continue. Oh, and I don't want to die a drunk either. There's that. :-)

Welcome to the site and good luck with your treatment! Stick around and you'll get a ton of support here too.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sandymc51863 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I do not have any recovery time. However, I have chosen to do outpatient which begins in 4 hours. Its not the place that scares me. Its the thought of having 2 go thru life without using.....

Read Kevin's post here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ths-today.html

Can you identify with the Big Book (BB) quote ??

You are not alone. It was a 90 day inpatient that got me started on track in 1989.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's because you are addicted and your brain is telling you that you have to have the substance. Your own brain is scaring you. Once you get free and start recovery you will gradually get back in control, and you won't be scared any more. After a time you won't miss it. But it takes time. And patience. I've been sober for a long time and I don't miss it a bit. Never think about it. You can be that way. So you'll be scared at first but this will gradually go away.

W.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I want to thank each and everyone of u who have replied. I honestly didnt think that I would get any at all. I came by this site by browsing the internet trying to grasp on2 anything I could. I am so happy that I registered. And so relieved that someone replied! Well, Im off the my 1st 2:15 appt of my OP. Thanks again for all the hope. xo
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Looking forward to hearing how it went.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes sandymc51863
Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good luck hope all goes well

i totally know what you mean about being scared of stopping forever
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also know what you mean about being scared of quitting. I had been using for several years before I finally decided that I needed to quit. I now have almost 2 years clean and can't imagine going back to using again, I would suggest just taking it 1 day a time.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Sandy, Welcome! You seem like on a good and healthy path to recovery! Remember that living with drugs was tough, so is living without. Recovery is not easy. Yet, the magic is only present in a life free of addictions. No matter what kind of addict you are, no matter how rich, how smart, how beautiful you are, the life as an active addict always ends up the same way: It is the life of slavery and misery. Yes, the idea of living sober can be quite scary at the beginning but trust when a recovering addict you cross paths with who tells you how magical recovery really is. I promise, you are going to be blown away... Let us know how your first meeting goes... They always are some of the most challenging steps you will have to take... It does get easier with time! Best,

Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome, it's nice to see you're getting a lot of support. I like reading these threads better. I wish you well in your recovery and hope when it's all over your clean and stay clean. kudos to you.

I'm a family and friend of addicts, my sister, my boyfriend. But the support for friends and family seem like a bunch of bitter and angry people. I guess I understand I'm not bitter and angry just hurt and scared.

I wish you all the best.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sandy. We're so glad you've joined the family. I hope your first meeting went well.

When I first joined here I was astonished at how many people felt exactly like I did. It made me feel instantly less anxious and no longer hopeless. I think you'll find being here with us will really help you stay on your journey to a sober life. Happy you are here!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. After my outpatient appt, I came home, went to bed, and stayed there. I have been there all weekend unil now. I have been put on Soboxone to keep me from withdrawing. It works for that, but I still feel really down. Not to mention that I have lost 2 pets in the last week. And now, my son needs to detox from same. Seems like there is always an "excuse" to just give up huh? Thanks for all of ur input. It really does help.

Last edited by sandymc51863; 03-10-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Think about going through death by using.

Hang in there. Be resolute. We got your back.
X2

Congrats on choosing to make your life better!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That thought used to scare me too, I understand. Just taking this one step toward your recovery and a new, sober life is HUGE. You should be PROUD. My best advice to you as someone who has done a few rehabs and had success at times and made mistakes :

1.) honesty is paramount
2.) some willingness is also key
3.) do not expect a total change overnight, it takes work
4.) listen, know that the people there are trying to help
5.) if you pray, do that as much as you can
6.) hold on tight, don't quit before the program is over

Awesome job going to a program, it's not easy but very rewarding if you do it!