Ive spoken of triggers before... :,l

Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive spoken of triggers before... :,l

my daughter brought home head lice from school today. Oh man what a day!!! Her long hair is her pride and joy and I just couldn't cut it. I decided to post about it partly because I can't really tell anyone it would embarrass her so badly and mostly because it reminded me so much of my mom.

I had it more times than I could count as a child, in fact, I don't think it ever really went away until I moved in with my dad. My mother would rake that stupid comb through my hair for hours and hours. Tell me I was a filthy child with a rats nest and beaten me for the bugs for years. She would yell and scream, fly into tyraids because they never went away. It was so traumatizing and is one of the main topics of discussion with my counsellor. now here it is back again, but this time I am mommy. This time I am not powerless. This time I can fix it. She doesn't have to be traumatized. I took a time out and went to the back porch and cried and cried. Then mentally kicked myself and said ok. lets do this. I explained to her what was happening and said its ok. It happened to mommy to. No one at school will have to know and God is good because we caught it right away before the quarterly check by the school. She is only six and started crying so we played spa day. I pretended the RID was hair dye and we spent about 4 hours combing out the vile creatures and listening to music and talking and bonding. we put mayonaise masks in our hair and she went to bed all wrapped up in plastic wrap stinking like mayo and saying I love you mom, thanks for not yelling at me. Did your mom do that for you? I lied and nodded and came out here and cried and cried. My poor foolish mom. Stupid pills. stupid bugs for reminding me of her. Now after having written this I am feeling empowered. I am feeling closure in a strange sort of way. wow this turned out to be longer than I thought. thanks for letting me vent. I just feel like tonight was a big "eff you mom! Im better than that! Im better than you. I didn't make my daughter feel the way you made me feel... whether Im an addict or codependent just like you." the buck stops here.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a powerful post. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

What a beautiful testament to healing. It is wonderful when we can break the cycle and choose to raise our children different to the way we were raised.

As far as the lice, a friend told me she DID dye her daughter's hair to get rid of the lice and it worked lol. Proper soap (like handmade soap) also kills the little buggers if you leave it on for 10 minutes or so. Good luck and you did so well.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are such a wonderful loving mama. You took care of yourself and your sweet daughter in such a creative, compassionate, loving way. I am touched reading your story of you ended the cycle of addiction and suffering and transformed it into one of love and understanding. So beautiful!

Keep sharing about this and letting the emotions come. You're doing so great! I need your positive example for when I get triggered from past trauma too. Hugs! xo
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! Powerful post. You're sweet little girl is so lucky to have a mother who is so loving. She will grow up with very different memories of the "lice incident". Spa day....what a great way to deal with the situation.

I hope that this experience was cathartic for you....healing......and that it helps you to let go of your painful past.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that was very touching and hugely insightful. by helping your own daughter in a kind and loving way, you helped heal that little girl long ago too. hugs to both of you!!! (hugs not bugs! LOL)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are a wonderful Mamma! Sending hugs your way and thank you for sharing such an impactful message. I too have dealt with the head lice with all my kids and it is scary for such a young girl to have to go through. I am sure she felt safe and stress free through the process
Hugs
Teresa
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys and guess what? all those memories gave me fresh strength to continue to keep the boy I always talk about out of the kids lives for a long long time. I am still willing to play with fire and watch his recovery, but they can think he went away to school for a lot longer than I had originally planned. If he loves them like he says he does, he can prove it. There once was a lady who lived in Belgium in he 1940s and her name was Corrie Tenboom and she wrote a book called The Hiding Place and in it her sister prays and says "Thank you God for the fleas" well... God is good all the time :,)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love what Anvil said about doing something for your daughter but also the little girl inside of you...there are a lot of metaphysical ideas about caring for your past self. re: if you believe that your actions today will affect your future...then why can't your actions today affect your past. re: you CAN send care and love to your own little self, and keep healing the old wounds. In fact, in some ways for me I had to let go of the neglectful parent which was so hurtful to my spirit (read: rats nests, nose and ear infections, no clothes, etc...which I almost actually DIED from neglect because the infection ran down into spinal menengitis!!) but I had to let her go (for-give) and take over the responsibility of parenting my-self, that sad neglected child had to get some love and care or I would continue to BE her. Does that make sense?
I wish you the best in caring and loving that little girl within. She is not alone.

Also...please consider sending a tip to the school that there is a break out!! Anonymously even if you prefer...getting lice is obviously not a matter of being dirty, right? They jump heads!! Make the school aware...or they may even jump back! You can help deter a lot of other kids from suffering...maybe even from suffering like you did with mothers who do not have the capacity to care or act.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seriously. Lice is really common. Don't sweat it or be embarrassed. It can be super hard to get rid of - it takes several weeks for the eggs to hatch so it just keeps reinfesting.

I totally recommend:
Awesome product! All natural. Preventative too. It has essential oils in it that prevent reinfestation. It lasts for 2 years so it's absolutely worth the investment. (And it smells good - like coconut and essential oils).

You also might want to go to the vet and pick up some stuff called Mycenex and spray down your couch with it. That will kill any eggs that escaped onto your couch or bedding.

You really should let the school know. Most likely other kids have it and until all the little heads are clean it'll make it hard to keep your daughter from getting it back again. Also, if her hair is long, you might want to start putting it in braids and keeping it tied back and up off her shoulders when she goes to school. It helps prevent the lice from jumping off one kids head and onto the other. I ended up having to shave my sons head (but he likes it that way).
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lily,

Thank you for sharing that.It almost sounds like this was put in your path to help you heal.

Your little girl is so lucky to have you for a Momma! It is interesting that she asked you about your Mom. Almost sounds like she has some intuition.

My Mom is a very loving sweet lady. Her Mom was not. Sometimes I wish I could be her Momma and give her back the love she gives me; the love he should have gotten from a Mother.

Peace,
Hanna
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I let the school know. They are gonna check heads today and have the carpets shampooed over the weekend. I use vinegar and mayonaise in addition to RID. I think it never went away when I was a kid cuz my mom was to high to care about washing the sheets. so my pillows would just reinfest me over and over
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this touching story. I used to be a teacher, and lice is very common in the schools. I had it back when I was 6, too. You are right about your pillow reinfecting you. I've heard it's the same way with stuffed animals. If she has some in her room, you might want to wash them in hot water. My mom used to say bad things to me, too. She was also neglectful of me, but blamed me (she was an addict, too). It is wonderful that you have broken the cycle of pain.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Lily you are a beautiful mother. Way to break the cycle, and be the kind of mommy we all need, or needed.