Notices

Need Some Words of Wisdom

Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Some Words of Wisdom

So I am only on day 3, and the cravings for alcohol are still pretty intense, high anxiety moments where I am not sure if I will win or lose the day. Tonight I am meeting a friend for dinner and am pretty sure he will have a drink and need some advice on how to "ride the craving" I hear so much about. Leaving in about 30 minutes. During dinner and after dinner on the ride home I know I am going to be super tempted to buy something. Please help.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Leaving now... hope all goes well and I make it to day 4!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Percussion

this is the link on urge surfing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

It's not like a magic spell tho - it still takes work, and practice, and sometimes we can still be sorely tested.

I think there's a real difference between urge surfing, and throwing yourself into a raging sea.

If you're not sure you'll stay strong, put off the lunch.

D
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't have been able to get through that on Day 3.

I hope things go well for you, though.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Perc you can do this, even if you have to lie to cover up why you aren't ordering a drink. My personal favorite was that I was on meds for an ear infection or some dumb crap like that, and drinking interferes with it.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Made it, not without a close call. Dinner was fine, he and I are both Christians and I simply told him after he ordered a drink I was stopping for a while, and that was good enough. It was the ride home that was really really tough. Gas station after gas station being passed, and then went into one. Straight to the bathroom and left. Then pulled out of the gas station parking lot and into a grocery store parking lot and walked right into the alcohol isle. Chardonay in hand I literally imagined all you standing around me, God and my fiance looking down at me and set it down on the ground and ran out. They probably thought I stole something lol. Pulled out of the parking lot and actually yelled, "i just want it." Drove home, loud music, focused on the taillights of the car in front of me and no alcohol. I kind of had to do the dinner thing, it was for the wedding, but damn it was yet another tough experience. This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. Can't make this stuff u, gonna repost as a new thread because it is a crazy good victory story in my opinion.