Notices

Felt i had to admit i had a problem

Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Felt i had to admit i had a problem

I'm only 20, but i have been drinking non stop for the last 6 months. I Used to get really drunk about once or twice awake from age 18-19, but recently its become more of an addiction.

ive never admitted this before so i feel ive turned a corner. the last few weeks ive managed just 1 day off alcohol then im back on it again.

today is my second day off it. i knew how bad it was for my brain and stuff and i feel extremely sluggish during the day, so ive decided to go off it and give my body a rest.

i want to work hard in the future, but with the amount of brain cells ive been damaging im afraid i cannot continue this pattern.

ive struggled to find many reasons not to drink, and i still feel that i will be able to get back to drinking in moderation in a year or so.

i would really appreciate if someone could give me an estimate of how long my withdrawal symptoms will last, because im 2 days in and ive hardly slept for those 2 days.

Cheers,

Carlton.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Hang in there! I don't have a problem with alcohol so I'm not sure how long withdrawals last.

But stick around. Lots of people will be here to help. Lots of strength here.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawal from alcohol is not easily predictable and it can also be very dangerous. Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking? It took me a few days before I started to feel better physically. Just know for sure that you can get through this.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, CD. I'm 34, been drinking regularly since 17 and alcoholically since 20. Each time I've stopped drinking, I went through withdrawals for about two or three days, but sleep didn't get better for longer than that. That being said, don't let the fear of no sleep scare you away from getting sober. If I would have stayed sober when I first started nine years ago, I wouldn't be in the mess that I am in right now. No reason to put yourself through another decade of misery when you are so smart as to see you have a problem right now.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im am glad you rexognize that you have a problem. Withdrawal last 3-7 days and after thwt you may have Post Alcohol Withdrawal syndrome. Please be aware if you have the problems you now admit to, you are an alcoholic. As step one states "We are powerless over alcohol". This means that you cannot take that first drink EVER without starting the spiral again. Most alcoholics do not believe this at first, some never so, but the sooner you accept this fact, the sooner youcan begin the road to recovery and happiness.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Carlton:

I went through all those nasty alcohol withdrawals only to find that I couldn't live sober ... that's why I drank in the first place.

I found the answer to living sober in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. It will be there for you as well if you need it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please don't try & fool yourself by thinking you can go back to drinking 'moderately' after about a year. You hear in AA meetings that people who think they have got that figured out, usually start drinking again but wind up drinking even more & with worse results. I know it's hard to imagine giving it up altogether, but just do it 24 hours at a time, even an hour at a time if need be. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel over time, but give yourself the time to do it right.